Twelve

"Collette, why aren't you in class?" Mr bale, the chemistry teacher, asked me.

"I...I was in the bathroom." I lie to him.

"Do you have a hall pass to be out here then?" He asked me

"No." I sighed suddenly realising that i was about to be in trouble.

"Detention after school today. Next time have a pass." He said walking away with a smug look and I hung my head in defeat.

I walked back to maths and took a seat after explaining where I was using my previous lie.

Maths was our last lesson and it passed quickly, and when it did, I explained to the girls that I had detention. She's thought it was stupid like I did but honestly couldn't care enough.

I walked to the detention room and took a seat waiting to see if anyone else would come.

A whole five minutes passed and no one had walked in, I was even starting to wonder if anyone was coming or if I could go.

At the moment I wanted to get up, miss Fairbourne walked in.

"I thought we already talked today, what are you doing today?" Miss Fairbourne asked as she turned to look at me and raised an eyebrow after setting the papers she had down.

"Detention." I said softly and she just hummed.

"I'm guessing you have no work to do? Otherwise you'd already be doing it." She asked as she walked towards me.

"No I don't." I said shyly.

"Okay then." She said sitting down in front of me. "Tell me about you." She offered a smile. Like one that reached her eyes and made me notice her small smile lines.

They were pretty.

"Like what?" I asked softly as i reciprocated the smile.

"I don't know anything."

"I don't know what to say." I giggled shyly. Some reason her smiling and being so soft is making me shy and nervous.

I've never seen her like this, she's kind one-on-one.

"Okay, then you'll get to know me. I'm from Cuba originally. I came to America with my family when I was 13 years old. But sadly after a month of being here my dad died." She said.

My heart ached but I felt like it's something I could tell her about now.

"I'm sorry about your dad." I said

"Don't worry, it's been a long time now. Now you." 

"My mom died two years back. So I guess it's something we can relate on." I chuckled lightly.

"I'm sorry about that Collette. It gets easier I promise." She said placing her hand on top of mine and in that moment my heart jumped in my chest.

I felt butterflies. Many at that too.

"Thanks." I said and I felt my cheeks heat up quickly.

"How come you ended up at the club on Saturday? Good for you, you were there, but it just doesn't seem like your scene." She asked me as her hand still stayed on top of mine.

"It's not my scene. But the girls said I should live a little this year. So we went to the club. What about you?" I said with a small chuckle but it died quickly when I realised I had no business asking her what she was doing there.

"I'm sorry I—"

"My friend Vivian. She practically dragged me out of the house after I had a few bad days." She said.