44

"I've booked us dinner tonight," I said to Ben, my hand on his thigh as I steered the car with the other. "It's a really nice place, The Horse and Cart."

Ben smiled sweetly and blushed a little. He squeezed my hand and looked at me with those stunning eyes of his.

"I've booked it for half an hour from now, if that's okay."

"Yes of course."

                                                ***

We arrived at the restaurant, and were quickly seated at our table. Through the floor to ceiling glass doors, we could see the stretch of green fields and cobblestone garden, the artificial lanterns lighting up a path down to the poly tunnel at the bottom of the sloping plot. I looked across at Ben; he was sat on my left, with both of our chairs strategically facing the view. I had the best table in the whole restaurant.

"This is such a good menu, I don't know what to get." Ben said in a sort of half whisper, like he didn't want the waitress to hear.

"I think we should go for the 5 courses. C'mon it's my treat."

We ordered quickly, accompanied by a bottle of Dom Perignon for the table, but this wasn't my only surprise for Ben.

"Hey, I have something for us." I said.

Ben looked at me with a hopeful and excited expression as I placed a red envelope on top of his napkin. He almost immediately opened it, trying to be careful as to not rip the contents.

Two tickets to Japan.