37

Once on the balcony, I headed towards the glass door. The curtains were still shut but I knew he knew I was here. I started knocking on the door, rain still pouring down my face, and shouted out to get him to open the door.
"Ben...please...please let me in..." I continued pounding. "Baby...please...I need to see you!"
I knocked on the door for 5 minutes with still no answer. Ben turned the lights off.
I could feel myself losing him. The desperation in me now was getting tenser and tenser. I took my wallet from my back pocket and decided to try and pick the lock with my Birchwood rugby membership card.
I wedged it into the gap, between the lock and the door, and pushed it as hard as I could. Jabbing, jamming, jarring until I heard a click and the door began to swing inwards from the gentle breeze outside.
I whipped the balcony door open, and saw a dark room strewn with tissues and empty chow mein and black pepper tofu boxes from the JuneFlower chinese takeaway. My boy was sat in between the closet and the bed, his face in his hands, and his fluffy bath robe wrapped around him. I could see he'd been crying. As soon as he saw me, he jumped up from the floor and came towards me with a sense of anger in his stride.
"I told you to leave me al-" I grabbed his face and kissed him with more passion and love than id ever done before, but he pushed me away.
"Don't touch me Matthew!" He screamed, tears still gushing down his rosy cheeks.
I grabbed his face again, and kissed him, still he pushed me away.
"What did I tell you? Don't fucking touch me!"
I kissed him again. This time when I pulled away, before he had chance to say anything, I looked deep into his eyes and said "You need to listen to me Ben."
"I don't need to listen to anything you have to sa-"
"No. You NEED to listen Ben."
"Why on earth should I listen to you, after what you did on our anniversary?!"
"Because you don't understand what you saw..."
He paused.
"Now, calmly listen to what I have to say."
I was still holding his face in my hands. He was so precious so me. My thumbs pressed softly into his cheeks and my fingers caressed his jawline and the back of his neck.
I continued in a softer tone "And if you still don't believe me, or want to be with me, I'll leave you. No matter how much it will kill me."
With an exasperated sigh, he went and sat on the edge of the king sized bed, still in his dressing gown. There was a white towel at the end, still folded to look like a goose.
I went and sat next to him, holding his hand in my lap, as I began to explain everything.
"There is a reason I had to tutor Jenna, and especially why I had to do it on our anniversary. I don't know if you know, but Jenna's Dad owns this hotel. I know this place is special to both of us, because of when I confessed my love to you at the Christmas party. I wanted to book this hotel for our anniversary, but I didn't just want a usual room, I wanted the honeymoon suite, to show you how much you mean to me. It's really difficult to get hold of, and the only way I could manage it was to ask Jenna."
I continued "Obviously with Jenna there's always a catch. She said the only way she would get it for me, was if I tutored her. The reason I had to do it on our anniversary, was because she wouldn't give me the key to the room until I did. I didn't know she was gonna kiss me. You know I have no feelings for Jenna whatsoever. I only did it because I wanted this anniversary to be special for you. I knew there was something a bit suspicious about her, but it did regardless because of you."
Ben looked away, I didn't know what he would say next, I didn't know if he would believe me. Then, he held his hands in his face and started to cry again. I didn't know what else I could say, I wondered if he was he still mad?
"Ben, are you okay?" I said as I put his arm around his shoulder.
"I'm so...sorry..." he said through muffled sniffles. "I can't believe you did all that for me. I treated you so badly, I'm so sorry..."
I cupped his face and brought it towards mine, and wiped his tears away from his eyes with my thumb.
I kissed him softly, tenderly. I kissed my boy.