CHAPTER 53 - PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS by LISSIE

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. They're on the road home. Here's a long-ass chapter for my lovies.

The next morning, Levi and Eren went to Farlan and Isabel's place to get them clothes and shoes. Isabel's clothes had been ruined in the car wreck. Eren borrowed a shirt and pair of jeans from Farlan. Once they took showers, they went back to the hospital.

When they walked into the room, Isabel was awake, but Farlan was asleep. She smiled at them and reached her hands out. Both Levi and Eren grasped her outstretched hands as she croaked out a "Hello!"

Eren and Levi looked at one another in concern for the bruises all over Isabel's face and upper chest. "Are you in pain?" asked Levi.

She touched her fingertips to her face and clavicle. "Yeah, it feels like I got into a fight with someone."

"You look like you got into a fight with someone!" said Eren.

They laughed quietly so as not to wake up Farlan. "How are you?" asked Levi. "Was your surgery a success? How long do you have to be here?"

"Slow down, Lee, I can't keep up. My head still feels hazy."

"Do you remember the accident?"

"Levi!" called Eren. "One question at a time."

Levi frowned and lowered his head. "I'm sorry Izzy. How are you?"

"I don't really know because I was out when they brought me in. My first real memory is seeing you guys after the surgery. I don't remember the accident other than the sound of wheels screeching and lights in my eyes. I feel really lucky." She shifted on the bed and ran her hand over Farlan's forehead. The man's head rested on the edge of her bed. He definitely hadn't gotten a lot of sleep that night. Levi couldn't blame him.

Isabel continued, "My surgery was successful, but I still have to wear this oxygen tube. I get breathless without it. My ribs hurt something awful. I can hardly move."

"I'm so relieved, Belles," said Eren. "I'm so glad it wasn't worse. I'm sorry though. This must have been very scary."

"Scared the shit outta me," muttered Levi. "I know I lost at least 5 years over this."

Isabel huffed a laugh, then followed it with a series of "Ow-ow-ows!" She gripped her ribs. "Don't make me laugh, Levi."

"There's something funny about me losing 5 years off of my life?"

Her eyebrows went up. "You don't look any different. No gray hair, yet."

"Oh god," said Eren. "That'll be the day we all go through holy hell."

"Hey!" Levi exclaimed. "Nobody wants to go gray."

"You'll be just as handsome," answered Isabel.

"That's true," murmured Eren.

The two men glanced at one another for a moment. Enough for Isabel to whistle. "What did I miss while I was out?"

"Nothing," said Eren

"We didn't kiss, if that's what you mean," said Levi. He laughed at Eren's blush and Isabel's open mouth. "We're giving each other the time we need. Still, it's good to see him around, right?"

"Yes, absolutely," answered Isabel. "I'm just glad there's hope."

Levi and Eren gazed at each other, both suppressing a smile. "There's always hope, right, Eren?"

Eren nodded. "Always."

"What's happening?" murmured Farlan as he lifted his head with sleepy eyes.

"Nothing, brother," said Levi.