CHAPTER 32 - TAKE IT ON THE RUN by REO SPEEDWAGON (HANGE & LEVI PT. 1)

This chapter is running 3000+ words. Apparently, I have a lot to say about Levi's best friend. The good news is that I'm fucking writing, which feels so amazing. AND that I have readers that love and support me in difficult times. I can't tell you how much you warm my heart. Tell me what you think about this backstory, ok? Wherever you are, be good to yourself and stay safe. The world wouldn't be as bright without you in it. I love you. ♥️ Mags

SPOTIFY LINK: https://open.spotify.com/track/5gys5nzVQIYhgHIfiOJYva?si=2152690137fa4e69

Hange's body jerked awake at the sound of a crash. She looked around in the darkness at the beakers and test tubes resting unharmed. The light from the window created a milky glow that slanted towards her where she lay, shivering and eyes fluttering open and closed.

Another bang on the door, followed by what sounded like kicking. "God, fucking dammit! It's 4:50 fucking nine! Let me in!" More kicking followed.

Hange crawled into a sitting position and pulled herself up with the support of the black countertops. At the sound of more profanity, she flicked on the light, halting the fanatic rage.

"He....Hello?" The knocking was gentler. "Are you fucking in there?"

When Hange peeked through the door's window pane, she saw nothing, but the door still rattled with frustration. "Where are you?" she managed.

"What?"

"I can't see you," she murmured.

"What the fuck are you talking about!?" he yelled. "Fucking let me in." With the last words a hand fell flat against the window pane. "You guys are supposed to be open for at least another half hour."

Hange stared at the hand. She couldn't help but snicker. Opening the door she found a really short man who looked just like a troll from one of the fairy tales she'd read as a child. They quietly appraised one another.

"What happened to you?" he asked, gesturing to her head.

Hange raised her hand to feel the edge of a lab report cemented to the side of her face, while her fingers wrapped around a small spatula tangled in her hair. "Oh," she laughed, "Must have taken a little nappy." She turned to the man and huffed a breath up into her shaggy bangs. "What do you want?"

He frowned and narrowed steely eyes at her. He opened his hand towards the door. "Lab?"

"Oh no, no lab on Wednesdays."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" He dropped his bag on the floor and literally stomped his foot. "No, you guys are open every day until 5:30. I took two buses to get here. I came early, what the fuck!"

Hange wrinkled her eyebrows and bit her lip, studying him. "You're really short."

"Well fuck, it's nice to meet you too!" His eyes were glistening with rage, but his words had a different effect.

Hange doubled over giggling and held her bony hands against her stomach. "Nice to meet you!" She laughed. "Oh my god!" Leaning against the doorframe, her head tipped back and she cackled.

"Hey!" he yelled. "Hey! Stop it, this isn't funny. I need to get into that lab or I'm going to fail this class."

She stopped laughing immediately and looked at him with concern. "Scholarship?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "C'mon, I won't be long, I promise." He brought his hand to the back of his neck. "Please."

Shrugging her shoulders, she leaned back against the door to open it for him. He dropped his head and walked past her. He had a hard time asking for help. She did too. It made it easier to help him. If she could make things easier for him, maybe...