CHAPTER 18 - UNDER THE MILKY WAY by THE CHURCH

I'm excited to publish this chapter as a celebration of La Playa de la Luna's 30K read mark! Thanks to _DayDreamer28_ for pushing me over! I swear, I have the most amazing readers. You make me feel so appreciated and loved. I can't thank you enough. This chapter has a little bit of Levi/Hange/Erwin back story. I hope you like it!

SPOTIFY LINK https://open.spotify.com/track/1RCtHLyq1xIbgGMrYRrKJ2?si=25ecea50edf64176

Wednesday night at the laundromat off of Gaspar and 13th, not far enough from the campus to be inconvenient, but far enough away to not have to make torturous small talk with that kid from your stats class. Erwin hated small talk. He really just wanted to pull his beanie down low over his eyes and read his romance novels.

The time was important too. Between ten and midnight was prime "alone" time. Just him and the occasional nurse or cop coming off the evening shift. The music was the best part. They had a jukebox, for god's sake. Where do you ever find those anymore? So, you get your change for the machines and a few for the jukebox. Laundry became something to look forward to.

Until the freaks started showing up. The strangest little duo was as at odds as Tom and Jerry, Abbot and Costello, the roadrunner and coyote. One was a tall, lanky, loud boy with a buzz cut with big thick glasses, one lens cracked directly over the pupil. He only wore tank tops, black military pants, combat boots and a chain that hung from his pants pocket. The other interesting character was a short, fierce, ebony haired man whose mouth drew down in a perpetual sneer. His uniform consisted of black skinny jeans, Chucks and a different band t-shirt every week. The guy wore suspicion like a tattered coat, his gaze tripping over Erwin's huddled form so often, the hair on his neck constantly prickled.

Aside from the guy's excellent taste in music, Erwin would have crossed the street to avoid this guy...hilarious since he was, himself, 6'4' and this kid was 5'4" on a long day...like that cartoon bulldog and the little scary dog he was bullied by. His nervousness over the little guy was curious and irritating.

The extent of the freaks' conversations were cackling, antagonizing and ear-piercing whoops and hollers from the buzzed-cut one versus profane and terrifying insults and threats spitting from black haired one. Not unlike his parents' marriage, really, Erwin chuckled to himself.

Regardless, they ruined Erwin's laundry night. Every once in a while, the tall pain in the ass would try and engage Erwin in a conversation, but if Erwin tried to answer, the little guy looked like he might start snarling and pulling against some imaginary chain. They were so weird, but Erwin couldn't tell why he just didn't pick another night or leave. Something stubborn itched at him. This place was his first, after all. As long as he didn't have to have a real conversation or didn't get bit by the tiny pit bull, he figured he'd hold his ground.

After about a month of uncomfortable co-existing within swirling, clicking, spinning machines, Erwin was so engrossed with the hot sex scene in his book, he didn't hear the throat clearing until the reed-like, leering, somewhat smelly person leaned over Erwin's shoulder and said, really loud, "Whatcha reading?"

Erwin jumped so hard that he let slip an embarrassing high-pitched scream, throwing his book straight into the air. The tall one hollered, "Oh shit, I didn't mean to scare you, dude!"

Erwin clasped the book to his chest, breathing heavily. When he opened his eyes, the two clowns were standing in front of him staring at the cover of his book, eyebrows rising. The short guy's face cracked into a smirk. An honest to goodness smile.

"Bountiful Bosom?" he sneered. "Is that any good?" His friend doubled over and cackled, dropping his glasses on the floor.

Sitting up straight and straightening his own glasses. Erwin blew out a breath. "What do you want?" he said. His eyes darted back and forth between them.