Stupidly

I have never felt more anxious than I did sitting outside of my dad's wedding in Happy's car, just waiting to get out and go in

I have never felt more anxious than I did sitting outside of my dad's wedding in Happy's car, just waiting to get out and go in. We had arrived about 10 minutes ago and there was an influx of people flowing through the doors of the old barn where it was taking place, Lizzie's hand was firmly in mine as my anxiety was seeping through my palm and onto hers. Happy was playing Taylor Swift in an attempt to calm me down but it wasn't really working, all I could think about was Dad and my new step-parent I didn't even know existed until a few weeks ago.

"What do you wanna do?" Lizzie asked softly.

I shook my head and peeled my eyes away from the barn and placed them on hers, "we need to go in."

"You've got 20 minutes, there's no rush," Happy replied, looking at us in the wing mirror.

"Talk to me about your thoughts," Lizzie smiled sadly, rubbing her thumb over the back of her hand.

"I haven't seen him in 2 years, there's a huge chance he won't even recognise me," I expressed.

"You're his daughter, it doesn't matter how long it's been, he's going to know who you are baby," she sighed, "it's all going to be okay; I'm here remember, I make everything okay."

I laughed out my nose and nodded back at her, "and it's an open bar."

"And it's an open bar," she giggled, "we'll go in, sit at the back, get drunk and dance together and all you need to do is say congratulations to him."

I thought for a moment and nodded again, "we can get free photos from the photographer too."

"Exactly, there's a lot more positives than negatives," she smiled.

"No, you're right, it's going to be fine," I agreed.

She nodded and kissed the back of my hand, "ready to go in?"

"Yeah," I exhaled shakily, "Happy, are you still okay to pick us up?"

"I'll be back here at 11pm," he nodded, "if you need me earlier, just give me a call."

I nodded back, "right, let's do this."

Lizzie smiled slowly and squeezed my hand again before I opened the car door and pulled my girlfriend out with me. She linked our fingers together and smiled over at me with a small wink as we walked towards the entrance. A largely overdecorated historic barn filled my view, flowers on every surface and a trail of vines around every single chair. There must have been at least 80 seats and with that, a room full of people I barely recognised. Lizzie and I both looked slightly lost as we were handed little 'thank you for coming' cards and a glass of bubbling pink Prosecco.

"You okay?" Liz checked as I read the card.

I hummed and nodded, taking a huge sip from my glass, and finishing it in one swoop. Lizzie laughed out her nose and took my glass off me.