Chapter 16: Satisfaction

[A/N: Trigger warning for this chapter: it includes suicidal thoughts and actions. Please read on your own responsibility!] 

Song of the chapter: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones 

It wasn't too hard for Anna and Dean to find Sam. Anna finally managed to hack his phone so they could get access to its location. Her twin ended up being only an hour away from them but what they didn't know was that he wasn't alone. When Anna knocked on the door of the motel room where Sam was supposedly checked in, a woman opened the door revealing shirtless Sam behind her.

Anna frowned as Dean only smirked. Sam looked quite awkward as he put his shirt back on and came to the door. There was something different about him, more serious. Anna was eyeing on him cautionary as they entered the room. Sam seemed stronger that he had been few days ago and Anna didn't know how it was possible. It had been only few days, he hadn't time to grow big muscles in that time and it wasn't just about his physicality, he seemed stronger mentally too. She was about to hug him when something caught her eye in the background. Blood. Blood on the couch, on the floor and even on the shirt Sam was wearing. How hadn't they seen that?

Terrified of what she was about to realize, Anna took step back from her twin. Her eyes wandered from him to the woman in front of them who had a bite mark on her wrist. Anna's eyes widened in shock. What had happened to Sam? Anna pulled out her knife and Dean followed her as he counted one plus one. Sam threw his arms in the air.

"It's not what you think it is!" He defended himself. Anna was shaking. It was mix of her fever, weak heart, and the fear in her. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. Had Sam become a vampire? Something was going on here and Anna refused to believe it. Her twin couldn't be a vampire. They would have noticed something.

"It's not? Well, what the fuck is this, then?" Dean raged pointing the knife at his own brother. None of them wanted to hurt Sam but knew they might not have any other options if he really had turned into a vampire. Anna was sniffing and holding her chest with her free hand. It had started to get harder to breathe for her.

Sam threw a glance at the woman who still hadn't introduced herself. "I'm not a vampire, I promise. It's not human blood."

Anna listened to her brother in disbelief. She was trying hard to focus on the situation, but she could hear her own blood in her ears and her unnatural heartbeat was starting to become very uncomfortable and the high fever didn't help a thing. She had to grab Dean's shoulder to keep her balance making her older brother look at her concerned again. He knew she wasn't at her best and had tried to get her stay in the car while he was going to get Sam, but she had refused to stay behind. Sam was her twin, and she knew what had happened the last time he had been missing.

"Not... human blood? Do you think that makes it any better?" Dean continued after making sure Anna was holding up. Sam was also eyeing on her worried, but he was too busy to defend himself to ask if she was okay. "Please, tell me it isn't you who has been drinking that blood!"

Sam looked awkward and that alone told Dean and Anna the answer they didn't want to hear. "It's Ruby's blood. It makes me stronger."

Anna winced as her heart made a weird movement but tried to keep it under control. Why was she always feeling ill when they were trying to save Sam? Did her own body want her to struggle to save him? It frustrated her so much. She was tired of her being always the weakest link wherever they went.

"Ruby?" She spat out and her eyes turned to the woman who was now just smirking. Of course! They should have realized that the bitch wouldn't just stay away! Ruby had been one of the demons that had climbed through the Hell Gates that Jake had opened. She had been "helping" them – Sam – on cases which had made Sam trust her, but Anna and Dean had never once trusted her. Anna was shocked that Sam was still being friends with her but was now drinking her blood to get... what? Stronger?