xxxiii

|[chapter thirty-three]|

" I'd be the dreadful need in the devoteethat made him turn around "

that made him turn around "

" I'd be the dreadful need in the devoteethat made him turn around "

Illinois, 2023

THE TRANSITION FROM DAY TO DUSK marked their arrival into Illinois, the landscape subtly shifting beneath the weight of their journey. The woods seemed to embrace them, ancient trees standing sentinel as the evening sky painted itself in hues of orange and purple, the final acts of sunlight piercing through the dense canopy. Colette's legs ached with the miles they had covered, each step a testament to the distance they had put between themselves and the turmoil of the night before. Yet, the physical distance did nothing to ease the tumult within her, the events with Joel casting a long shadow over her thoughts.

As the light faded, they found a secluded spot to make camp, a small clearing surrounded by the imposing embrace of the woods. The chill of the autumn night crept in, an unwelcome companion as they settled in for the evening. Joel and Ellie busied themselves with setting up their respective sleeping areas, while Colette found herself momentarily paralyzed by the routine, her mind ensnared by the memories of last night's revelations and the palpable tension that had followed them throughout the day.

It wasn't until she reached for her backpack to retrieve her sleeping bag that she realized it was missing. A sense of panic washed over her, cold and abrupt, as she frantically searched through her belongings, hoping she had simply misplaced it. But deep down, she knew. She had left it behind at the house they had camped in the night before, her mind too occupied with Joel and the unresolved tension that simmered between them.

The realization felt like a physical blow, the cold of the night suddenly more acute, more menacing. She cursed under her breath, a mixture of frustration and embarrassment knotting in her stomach. Joel's strict rule against fires echoed in her mind, a non-negotiable edict born from necessity: no fire, for fire attracted unwanted attention, and in their world, attention was synonymous with danger.