vi

|[chapter six]|

" Ain't it a waste they'd watch the throwing of the shade? "

Boston, 2023

IT WAS HARD FOR HER TO BELIEVE that the smugglers were living here. When she got back to the apartment where Joel and Ellie were waiting for hers' and Tess' return; Night was already breaking and there was still no sign of the older woman. Apparently, Colette hadn't been half as silent as she thought herself to be because the second the dirtied white apartment door creaked open Joel was sitting up on the couch, instantly alarmed.

"It's only me," she told him, eyes pointedly going to his hands that had reached for his gun. She felt his eyes on her back as she shut the door and took off the backpack, starting to go through it.

"What was your name again? Claudia?"

She frowned, halting for a second. Claudia. She scoffed. "Colette." After having said it, she frowned even more. The woman was well aware her name didn't sound as smooth as Ellie or simply Joel, but her father demanded she be named after his dead father who had given his life saving him and Anna—her mother—from an infected. Cole. She winced. Not much to do with that when it came to a girl.

"You ever been out there?" He didn't need to tell her what he meant; she knew.

"Nope," she answered, pulling Ellie's jacket from the depths of her backpack. Hurling it at the teen who had her eyes cast out the window, she received a familiar you dick! and grinned to herself.

Ellie perked up from her seat, eyes wandering to Joel. "You guys go out there a lot?"

"I guess."

"When was the last time?"

"Maybe a year. What's it matter?"

"But you know where to go. So...we're gonna be okay."

Colette stopped rummaging at the fear in her sister's voice. Fingers playing with some strings that had gotten loose from the pack's stitching, she tried to ignore the pain in her heart. Out there, she could do scarcely a thing to keep her safe. Nothing, really, without having to rely and Joel and Tess. Smugglers who she hadn't known longer than a few hours. Who had wanted to shoot them.