xvii

|[chapter seventeen]|

" to the archer from the arched "

Lincoln, 2023

COLETTE THOUGHT THE TOWN had to be the cleanest place they had seen so far. There were no cars littering the streets and whatever trash the people had left behind was cleaned away from the ground. Though the plants had made this town their home too—Colette guessed they did everywhere nowadays. As they walked a bit further, an old FEDRA sign stood rusted and almost fallen at the side of the street. 'Mandatory evacuation' was written in bold letters on the sign, proving what Joel had told them about the bones they had stumbled upon only a little while back. If Ellie thought anything about it, she didn't voice her comments and continued to peek into the windows of different shops and diners.

Joel slowed his pace, taking notice of the makeshift barbed wire barricade that blocked off the street. At the top was a sign, handwritten with white paint. 'You will be shot!'. Colette frowned.

Joel grumbled. "Yeah, that's Bill's handiwork." He stemmed his hands on his hip and looked for any way to get through the barricade, but Bill was too thorough to leave even just a sliver of a possibility for them to squeeze through. "C'mon," the older male mumbled and headed toward an alley to the left, hoping Bill hadn't blocked that way, too. "Now, listen. Bill ain't exactly the most...stable of individuals. So, when we get there, you let me do the talkin'. You understand?" Joel stopped abruptly as the screeching of another Clicker came to life in the alley. It spotted them immediately, running at them with sharp shrieks of hunger, when, not a second later, it blew up. As the loud explosion echoed through town, Colette yelped and ducked down out of reflex. "Jesus!" Joel exclaimed, eyeing the scarce remnants of what once was a body and the trip wire it had walked into.

Ellie gaped. "What the hell was that?"

"That," Joel breathed and flicked a speck of Infected off his shoulder. "Would be one of Bill's traps."