xxiv

|[chapter twenty-four]|

" and somewhere in the mess around my body, it beginsand I don't see an end to thisso I'll just enjoy the fire "

around my body, it begins
and I don't see an end to this
so I'll just enjoy the fire "

" and somewhere in the mess around my body, it beginsand I don't see an end to thisso I'll just enjoy the fire "

Pittsburgh, 2023

THEY HAD FOUND A PLACE TO HOLE UP IN, its windows covered by newspapers and the floor dirtied by years of grime and dust. It had been a bar before the outbreak happened, Colette noted as her eyes fell to the sign behind the counter 'Hi-Lo BAR', now a makeshift sanctuary from the chaos of the outside world. The bar, with its windows plastered with the yellowing newspapers, offered only dim light, though still a semblance of safety.

Joel, with practiced hands, set about cleaning Colette's wounds, his movements precise and gentle. The first aid kit, always at the ready, lay open beside him, its contents scattered across the table they had dragged to the center of the room. Colette sat quietly, wincing occasionally but trying to mask the pain with a stubborn resilience that Joel had come to recognize—and respect.

Ellie, meanwhile, hovered nearby, her usual demeanor momentarily subdued by concern for her sister. She knew better than to get in Joel's way while he worked, but the silence was too much for her to bear. "Hey, Lettie," she started, her voice tinged with a nervous energy as she remembered reading about concussions and how one was supposed to ask the injured person questions to keep them active—or check for memory loss or something. "Do you know what day it is?"

Colette glanced at Ellie, a hint of amusement flickering in her eyes despite the throbbing pain at the back of her head. "No idea," she said. "But then again, I don't think I've ever known the date, so that's not really a good test, is it?"

Undeterred, Ellie pressed on with a huff of thought. "Okay, then what did I gift you for your birthday last year?"

The question, unexpected and slightly absurd under the circumstances, momentarily lifted the weight of the moment. Colette, a smile playing at the corners of her mouth despite the pain, responded. "You had Riley get me a box of condoms, saying you don't want Miles' hell spawn running around," Colette answered, brows lifting as she squinted at Ellie. Miles had been present when Ellie had said so. "Trust me, I remember."