ix

|[chapter nine]|

" A cure I know that soothes the soul, does so impossibly "

Boston, 2023

CHIRPING BIRDS FILLED THE ABANDONED CITY OF BOSTON, which Colette found to be an eerie thing. Last night when they had fled the safety of the QZ, the city appeared to harness a dark energy bound to reach and destroy them. But as she stepped out of the building, Joel hot on her heels, she couldn't help but stop at the sight before her; the plants that had made the streets and cars and buildings their home, the birds that sailed through the sky chasing after one another.

It was so peaceful.

She stared up at the skyscrapers in wonder. Some of them had fallen, gravity allowing them to stay upright, though barely. Ellie's hand tucked at her own, redirecting Colette's attention to where her sister was pointing. Her eyes wandered to the highest point of one of the skyscrapers—a building made completely out of glass—where the sun was hitting the windows just right. The beauty of the end of the world left a bitter taste in Colette's mouth.

"We should get movin'," Joel said, jumping from the rock he had been standing on, which had allowed him to get a view of the field. Scout for any dangers up a head. Apparently, they were none.

Tess went first and Ellie followed her wordlessly, as did Colette. The young woman didn't like the feeling of the male smuggler at her back. Just knowing his eyes were watching sent a prickling feeling of irritation through the back of her neck.

"It's like a fucked-up moon," Ellie commented in awe, steering toward where a giant hole ripped up the street. "Is this where they bombed?" As she was about to climb onto the debris to be able to look down at what lay beneath, Colette's hand shot out, barely able to grasp her sister's pack to pull her back. Ellie rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Yeah," Tess answered, stopping when she noticed the sisters weren't following her anymore. "They hit most of the big cities like this. They had to slow the spread somehow." The older woman sighed depressed as she knew the outcome far better than the sisters. "Worked here, but...it didn't in most places."