xxi

|[chapter twenty-one]|

" and how they hit me hard enough to question who you are "

to question who you are "

" and how they hit me hard enough to question who you are "

Pittsburgh, 2023

WHEN COLETTE WOKE THAT MORNING, Ellie was still asleep beside her. The younger girl's body was turned away from her older sister, the blanket securely wrapped around her, leaving Colette with not even a scrap of it. Though as Colette looked down, she found another blanket draped over her form. Her head snapped to the bed beside them where she had expected Joel to lie, but the man was nowhere to be found—and the bed was bare of a blanket.

She swallowed, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed and pulling on her boots. It stung somehow, deep within her chest, how she had acted the night before. She had thought about it all night long, until exhaustion had taken her, so much so she had felt nauseous. With a slight shake to the shoulder, she woke her sister whose head shot up instantly. Ellie's eyes were droopy and Colette thought she even spotted a sliver of drool at the corner of her mouth.

"Come on," Colette said, putting Ellie's sneakers down in front of her. "Joel's probably already waiting."

Ellie pulled her shoes on quickly, looking around the room for her backpack, only to realize she had left it in the car. "Why didn't he wake us?" Ellie questioned and Colette only shrugged in answer. "If he's gonna bitch about us sleeping in, I'll lose my shit."

Colette bumped into her sister as they made their way toward the car. "Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today, huh?" She joked, earning a tired huff from her sister until the younger girl halted upon finding Joel asleep in the driver's seat of the car. Colette frowned slightly. Joel had rather taken the risk of Infected or raiders finding him in this vulnerable position than to sleep in the same room as her. Ellie pulled open the car door to the driver's seat with no consideration for the exhausted man. Joel jumped, reaching for his gun until he found Ellie's face staring back at him. He sighed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.