x

|[chapter ten]|

" All reason flown as god looks on in abject apathy "

Boston, 2023

SPECKS OF PEELING WALLPAPER littered the carpeted floors as they snuck through the hallways of the hotel. With every step she took, Colette could feel the wetness below her feet that had soaked into the thick insoles of her FEDRA boots. Ellie before her had close to jumped up the stairs, Tess behind fell against the wall breathlessly, the burning in her lungs worse than ever before.

Ellie chuckled. "Come on, it wasn't that bad."

Tess frowned, pushing past the younger girl. "You try climbing ten fuckin' floors with our knees," she scoffed. "See how ya feel."

Colette made sure to go last to ensure Ellie wouldn't wander off since the older of the sisters had a feeling that was a thing her sister would most definitely do. She had already gotten one heart attack that day, she really didn't need another one. Colette heard the cursing before she saw what the sudden sour mood was about. The concrete foundation of the floor above had fallen, blocking their way.

"Well, when the fuck did that happen?" Tess groaned, stepping toward the rubble. Rattling doors left and right the smugglers sighed in defeat. "All right, well, I mean, maybe I could climb up there... work my way around, and open it from the inside?

"Uh, no, well, I'm the smallest, so it'd be easier for me to get through," Ellie said, stepping up to Tess, but Colette stopped her.

"Forget it. You're not going anywhere on your own. We don't know what's in there." Colette saw that her sister was about to disagree but the look in her eyes hardened in seriousness.

Ellie sighed, crossing her arms with her undivided attention on her sister. "Well, why don't you go? You're smaller than her." Tess scoffed, offended.

Colette turned to the obstacle in front of her. It looked easy enough for her to get up, far easier than it would be for Tess, that was for sure—though not with that damn left arm. The corners of her lips turned downward as she shook her head. "I can't."