xxii

|[chapter twenty-two]|

" and how you got so close to meand how you got so far "

and how you got so far "

" and how you got so close to meand how you got so far "

Pittsburgh, 2023

THERE WAS A DIFFERENCE IN JOEL'S DEMEANOR that Colette thought she had never seen quite like this. Of course, he had shown them just what he was capable of, but now, with his gaze set and jaw locked, he appeared vastly unfamiliar to her. Like a viper, she thought. One wrong move and he would snap without hesitation, swift and deadly. Joel had pulled them further into the laundromat as the raiders advanced.

"This motherfucker's dangerous," one of them hushed. "He killed all of them."

"Shit," another one agreed upon seeing the body of their comrade. "Spread out."

"Damn," a third voice joined in, the male nudging the body on the floor, lifting it ever so slightly to see the extent of the damage. "This tourist got some scrap in him."

Colette didn't have her gun on her, hands searching her pockets and jeans for any weapon she might have carried, but all of them were nudged into the car—she had thought it would have been a safe spot.

"Hey," Joel hushed, nodding to a hole in the drywall as he turned his eyes to the sisters. "Can you squeeze through?"

"I think so," Ellie answered and Colette nodded, not wanting the surging pain that speaking caused her.

"When I say go, you crawl to that wall and you squeeze through and you don't come out until I say, okay?" Colette sat up, one knee on the floor as she pulled Ellie beside her, ready to hurry across the floor at Joel's command. He grabbed her arm, turning her to face him. "You stay down, you stay low, you stay quiet," he stated and waited until both of them gave some form of acknowledgement before nodding himself. He shot up from his spot on the ground, rifle lifted as he took the first shot. "Go!"

Colette grabbed her sister, shoving her in front of her so she would be the first at the hole. The hole was tiny, Colette concluded as she barely managed the squeeze, her curves just a little too curvy. When she pulled her leg through and her butt finally managed to plop past the opening, she fell forward, hands barely managing to catch herself before she would have landed on her face. Gunshots echoed through the laundromat until the bickering calls from the raiders turned into strained grunts as they fought for their lives.