xxix

|[chapter twenty-nine]|

" if there were scarlet flagsthey washed down in the mind of mewhere a blinding light shone on you every night "

they washed down in the mind of me
where a blinding light shone on you every night "

" if there were scarlet flagsthey washed down in the mind of mewhere a blinding light shone on you every night "

Pittsburgh, 2023

SAFETY SEEMED SO STRANGE to Colette after they had fled the suburbs, Joel at the helm of their small group. They had climbed over a fence, which in the end had saved their asses from the mass of Infected.

Further from the looming danger, and only when Ellie and Sam began to struggle with exhaustion, their eyelids heavy and fighting to stay open, Joel deemed it time to seek refuge for the night. Henry, with a claim of knowing the perfect place, led them back onto the desolate streets. After trudging another mile, they arrived at a motel, its sign corroded by time and neglect.

As Colette's eyes settled on the dilapidated structure, memories of their last stay in a similar place haunted her, sending a shiver down her spine. A sudden tightness gripped her throat, and an uncomfortable lump formed as she instinctively looked towards Joel. She caught a brief moment, fleeting yet heavy with unspoken thoughts, as he averted his gaze. The action, subtle yet significant, echoed the tension that had woven itself tightly around their interactions, reminding her of the complexities of their shared journey and the uneasy peace they now found themselves in.

In the cramped confines of the motel room, the world outside seemed to momentarily fade, giving way to an uneasy silence that enveloped its occupants. Ellie and Sam had quickly claimed the small bedroom, their laughter and the sounds of their games a great contrast to the somber atmosphere that dominated the living area. There, Henry, Joel, and Colette sat in a makeshift circle, each lost in their own thoughts. Colette and Joel were positioned across from one another, an unspoken tension hanging thickly between them, palpable in the air charged with silent recriminations and unvoiced regrets. Henry found himself against another wall, his position affording him a clear view of the strained dynamics at play.