xiii

|[chapter thirteen]|

" what yields the need for those who lead us, oh, so morally "

who lead us, oh, so morally "

" what yields the need for those who lead us, oh, so morally "

Boston, 2023

COLETTE'S EYES RESTED ON THE SPLATTERS OF BLOOD that adorned the flat stone steps of the State House. She didn't know much about blood—about how long it took for it to dry or how long it kept its vibrant color, though all of her common sense told her it was far too fresh for them to enter the building. It was a great probability that the danger that had taken out the Fireflies was still looming. Just because Colette couldn't see or hear it, the feeling deep within her bones told her differently. 

The woman was about to tell Ellie to get away and come to where she was standing beside the truck, but Tess surged forward, taking hold of Ellie's arm and pulling her up the steps of the State House. Colette was on the move instantly, calling for Tess to let go of her sister, though she didn't pull out her gun. She knew if she were to point it at Tess, it was only a matter of seconds until Joel would have pulled the trigger on her.

Colette ran after them, her hand sliding to Ellie's other arm, as she cursed at the older woman, who entered the State House with her gun raised. Her teeth were clenched as she eyed the older brunette, suddenly feeling far more hatred than she had before. Of course, Colette wasn't fond of the smugglers but Tess was so dead set on getting her hands on the things Marlene had promised her that she seemed to have lost all regard for Ellie's safety.

"Holy shit," Ellie breathed, eyes widening at the bodies lying on the floor. Pools of blood had spread beneath the bodies, the blood glistening with freshness, though the edges were beginning to dry out. As Tess looked around, Colette pulled Ellie away from the woman, making sure not to let her sister stray too far.

"Jesus," sounded Joel's voice behind them as Tess turned frantic.

"I mean, there's gotta be a fuckin' radio or somethin', right?" She questioned, hands working through the belongings of the Fireflies which were set up all around the State House. Crates and cases with ammunition and guns and whatever the Fireflies had brought with them were scattered on the front desk. Tess went through it all, silently cursing.