xix

|[chapter nineteen]|

" this is how I learned how to take the arrows in my back "

the arrows in my back "

" this is how I learned how to take the arrows in my back "

Lincoln, 2023

IN THE GRIM LIGHT OF THE ABANDONED TOWN the silence was almost as deafening as the danger it concealed. Their little group moved with cautious steps, gazes scanning the shadows for any sign of the Infected. The task at hand was clear: find a car battery to fix up a vehicle for their journey to Jackson, Wyoming where Joel thought his brother might be. But the path they had to take in order to get to a battery was crawling with Clickers, the grotesque kind of the Infected that hunted through sound rather than sight.

Bill led them to the other side of town and past his barricades, toward the high school where a military truck with a somewhat salvageable battery had been left behind. The military had been passing through, looking for supplies when they got overrun by a horde of Infected, as Bill told them. Bill had also reluctantly admitted to Joel that he and Frank had parted ways after one too many disagreements—though his mention of his ex-partner had only come due to Joel asking to say hello to the man.

The plump male slowed to a stop before taking them into a graveyard. "Right through there's the school," he said, once more warning them to stay fucking quiet. "Ready?"

"Guess we'll find out," Joel answered, starting to walk toward the graveyard's gate. The tension between Joel and Colette was tangible, a thick undercurrent to the already stifling atmosphere of threat. Colette's anger toward Joel simmered beneath the surface, her feelings about their kiss mingling with the adrenaline of their mission. She was careful to keep a slight distance from him, her pride and confusion creating an invisible wall.

"Past this gate," Bill started before Joel could enter the graveyard, stopping the male in his step. "It's all new territory to me."

Joel nodded in acknowledgment, slipping past the graveyard's gates, followed by Colette, Ellie and Bill.