xi

|[chapter eleven]|

" A squall and all of me is a prayer in perfect piety "

Boston, 2023

THE BUSTLING OF CITIES was something Colette used to read about, and often aloud so Ellie too could indulge in imagines of humanity's past. Where before the outbreak it was cars, swarms of people, and pollution creating the charm of cities, now it was swarms of Infected and dangerous fungi that remained. Though Colette wouldn't have gone as far as calling what lay in front of her charm, opting instead to pronoun it a damn curse.

Another wave flowed through the Infected like a riptide, ready to press them under and carry them to their demise. Her younger sister jumped back from the railing with a huff, shoulders slumped.

"So, we are not going that way," Ellie stated with a frown on her face.

Tess' expression turned bitter as she slightly shook her head. "No."

"What do we do then?" Realization dawned on her sister like a nightmare crawling in. "Short way?"

Tess looked past Colette to her partner, not particularly fond of the idea either. The male sighed thinking of other possibilities. "Museum."

Colette thought she might have been exited. Getting to see things she never would have dreamed of, witnessing the world as it was now with all its breathtaking beauty and all its dangers—if she were to remain on the safety of the balcony. Far away from the claws of cordyceps and raiders. In her years she had heard some stories told by FEDRA soldiers who had crossed the wall, that there weren't just the Fireflies. There were other resistances, other groups who had formed because, yes, there was safety in numbers. She didn't know whether or not some of the stories had been made up, though she hoped for it terribly. Encountering savage groups who went hunting for the remnants of society was not high on her bucket list.

Though she had always wanted to go to a museum.

Walking down the ten floors of the hotel, Joel went out the doors first, checking for any threats up ahead. Upon finding none, he jerked his head, signing for them to follow. For once, their journey was spent in complete silence, and Colette could tell that Ellie was beyond nervosity. She saw it in the way her sister's fingers twitched around the straps of the backpack and in the way her lips moved ever so slightly as she mumbled affirmations of security to herself.