xxv

|[chapter twenty-five]|

" you know the distance nevermade a difference to me"

made a difference to me"

" you know the distance nevermade a difference to me"

Pittsburgh, 2023

IN THE BARELY LIT ROOM OF THE TOWER, they had found a momentary refuge in the hellscape that Pittsburgh had become. Colette, still reeling from the events of the previous day, her head seemingly insistent on never ceasing to throb with the dull ache of her concussion, tried to find solace in her sleep. Beside her, Ellie shifted restlessly, a sense of unease slowly creeping up as she opened her eyes in annoyance at her inability to fall asleep again. A gasp shook the young girl upon noticing two unfamiliar silhouettes, their arms extended and guns raised.

"Lettie, Joel," Ellie whispered urgently, nudging Colette in a desperate attempt to rouse her. Colette, her senses dulled by pain and exhaustion, murmured a half-conscious plea for quiet, yearning for just a few more moments of peace. But the situation escalated rather quickly as Ellie landed a forceful slap on her sister's arm. "Colette, Joel, wake the fuck up!"

The urgency in Ellie's voice pierced through Colette's fog of sleep, jolting her awake. Her eyes snapped open, sitting up with a frown on her face. "What is it?" She huffed, eyes set on her little sister.

The younger girl opened her mouth in disbelief that the two adults still hadn't taken notice of the strangers pointing guns at them. "Sorry to wake you, maybe you'd like to ask our guests standing right over there for a bedtime story!"

Colette's brows drew together in puzzlement, sleep still palpably clouding her perception. "What?"

"Behind you, you idiot!" Ellie finally blurted out, her voice laced with urgency. At Ellie's exclamation, Colette turned her head, confusion at the forefront of her mind. The woman fell rigid at the sight of two strangers standing over them with guns in their grasps. Realizing Joel was still blissfully unaware of the imminent danger, Colette reached out to shake him, hissing his name. When that failed to wake him, she resorted to a kick square in the back.