vii

|[chapter seven]|

" When stunted hand earns place with man by mere monstrosity "

Boston, 2023

PICTURES RAN THROUGH COLETTE'S HEAD of all the times Ellie had gotten hurt. The memories started when both of them had been children, Ellie about nine months old. Colette didn't know what it was with babies and them pulling their own hair and crying awfully loud about it, but Ellie had done that, too. It had taken almost eight weeks to grow out of it. Colette remembered the time too when Ellie's baby teeth had fallen out and new ones had come in at an angle before unknown to the girl and for the first few days, Ellie would constantly bite her lip bloody. Or when Ellie was about ten years old and she continuously challenged everyone around her to races, because she was firmly convinced, she was faster than everybody else. Ellie's knees had been raw and pulsing for weeks on end after falling on them almost every day.

Her sister had grown out of all these things and had forgotten about most of them, but not Colette. Colette doubted she would ever forget a single thing about her sister; not the little scar on her forehead where she had rammed the edge of a desk at the age of five, not the triumphing smile she wore when they played cards and Ellie won, and most definitely not the fear painted across her sister's face as the FEDRA soldier started scanning them for Cordyceps infections.

"Ellie," Colette whispered—twice before Ellie snapped out of the trance, she had been in. There were tremors in every single movement Ellie made, a wobble in her lips that was the same as the day Ellie had told her about getting bit. Colette pointedly let her eyes wander to Ellie's back pocket. Her own knife was somewhere within the contents of her backpack and using a gun would be really fucking stupid, seeing as other soldiers would be alarmed by the noise and would come running in an instant.

The scanner touched Tess' skin first, the older woman huffing at the familiar feeling. "Really, man?"

"Yep," the soldier answered curtly, keeping his weapon pointed at the woman. "We're doin' this by the book."