xxx

|[chapter thirty]|

" and either side of my sleepwhere you were held frozen like an angel to me "

where you were held frozen
like an angel to me "

" and either side of my sleepwhere you were held frozen like an angel to me "

Pittsburgh, 2023

COLETTE WAS LOST IN THE SHALLOW GRIP OF SLEEP when the morning shattered into chaos. The sudden, piercing scream jolted her awake, her heart catapulting into a frantic pace. In the dim light filtering through the curtained windows, her eyes landed on Ellie, who stumbled backward through the open doorway of the bedroom, hitting the motel's worn carpet with a thud that seemed to echo in the tight space. Colette's mind raced to catch up with the scene, her body frozen with a mix of shock and confusion.

Sam snarled, clawing his way atop of Ellie, his movements jerky and unnaturally fast. But it was his eyes that stole Colette's breath away—a hollow, milky gaze where warmth used to be. He had turned. The realization crashed into her with the weight of a falling skyscraper, crushing the air from her lungs. In that instant, the remnants of her drowsiness vanished, replaced by a cold, gripping fear.

Colette scrambled to her feet, each and every instinct to protect her sister kicking in. Joel and Henry were already moving, their expression somewhere between shock and horror. The sounds of struggle filled the room, grunts and scream mingling with the guttural screeches of the newly turned Infected. Colette's mind raced, her gaze flitted around, landing on Ellie, who was struggling beneath Sam's frenzied assault, her face a mask of fear and confusion.

Colette's training, all those hours of preparation for the countless dangers of their world, her graduation rite, had never prepared her for this—in that harrowing moment, Colette understood the true cost of living in their broken world. The tension in the air was thick, a tangible force that seemed to press down on Colette as she reached for the knife sticking out of Joel's backpack, the cold metal a blatant reminder of sacrifice and the seriousness of their situation. Sam, now lost to the infection, was a threat to them all, especially to Ellie, who was fighting desperately to get him off her, crying out her sister's name.