iii

|[chapter three]|

" Ain't it exciting you, the rumble where you lay? "

Boston, 2023

COLETTE'S ARM THROBBED PAINFULLY as one of the Fireflies pulled off the blood-soaked gauze. She gave a hiss, eyes not swaying from the asshole Firefly who treated her like she had another twenty spare arms as a backup in her pack. By the looks of it, the Firefly wasn't even a doctor, though she imagined the woman might have been a medical student or something before the outbreak.

"It's not healing right," the woman commented and Colette couldn't help but wish for the woman to go fuck herself, because Colette was sure that if the woman had a softer touch her stitches would be just fine.

"I hadn't fucking noticed," she shot back, receiving a scoff in return.

They hated her—the Fireflies. She had been locked in a room for about three weeks, her FEDRA uniform had been quite literally ripped from her body, she had been openly spat on, and probably the food they gave her was contaminated by others' saliva, too.

She had shot two of their men, that was the reason for their putrid hatred. In reality, she didn't have a choice, not really. Not when it was her sister who was in danger and they were so close to finding where Ellie had been hiding. Colette expected to feel remorse for what she had done but every time she thought back to that night nothing but fear was in her bones. It was a ludicrous thing, how dreadfully frightened she had been.

She had just gotten her sister back from the impossible—nobody had ever heard of someone withstanding a Cordyceps infection, yet here her sister was—and the possibility of Ellie being ripped from her with no chance of revival? The thought was haunting. So awfully haunting, Colette couldn't remember the last time she had slept. Most definitely was the last rest she had gotten when the blood loss was becoming too great and she had fallen unconscious. Since they didn't allow her to see her sister or even just talk to her Colette hadn't had one peaceful moment.