101 - China Upheaval - 19

Start from the beginning

The tank crews of the 2nd Army Group, proud of having passed through rigorous training under the German military advisory group, were critical of this strategy. They had overly embraced the flattering (lip service) from the German military advisory group, believing that with high-quality tanks and proficient tactics, the Chinese tank units could overpower even the American tanks head-on. However, at this point, China's intelligence had confirmed the strength of the 1st Army to be the size of five divisions, with five tank regiments as well.

Furthermore, while the 11th Mechanized Division of the US Army was equipped with the M3F variant, *5 the tanks used by the tank regiments under other mechanized divisions, being the M2 medium tanks, *6 the numerical majority of which were the main force during the Siberian War of Independence. Thus, the deployment of more than an equal number of Panzer III Ausf. C and C2 models were considered appropriate by the Northern Expeditionary Command. It should be noted that there was also concern about the Japanese-made Type 16 MCV, but it was speculated that even with its superior performance, it could be defeated with three times or more tanks in combat, given the control of aerial superiority.

On the other hand, the East Eurasian Army Group had ordered the 1st Army to maintain control of the current deployment area as much as possible (not synonymous with "defend"). This was because, due to limitations such as transport capacity, the evacuation of residents in western South Mongolia had not progressed. The US was aware that China would likely attempt to encircle the 1st Army and destroy its supply lines under Operation Wedge.

Having recognized this, the aforementioned orders were issued to the 1st Army.

For the United States, which could not politically abandon the people living in South Mongolia, it was acceptable for the 1st Army to temporarily fall under siege by the Chinese forces. Furthermore, while it was possible for the 1st Army to launch an offensive, the vastness of the area to be defended, and the risk of infiltration by enemy cavalry-like units during the offensive, which would be troublesome, made it an unchosen option. The United States had no intention of tarnishing or lowering the banner of justice (for the people of South Mongolia).

Aerial Situation

The Chinese government's military aviation operations were centered in Beijing. Due to its status as the foremost metropolitan area around the Yellow River, it was easily accessible for the accumulation of resources. Additionally, the proximity to the German factories in Qingdao facilitated the receipt of materials. Although Germany officially declared itself neutral, it continued to supply military materials manufactured in Qingdao, under German government control, to China through a convoluted rationale that separated commercial activities from government affairs.

The United States openly expressed suspicions about Germany's attitude and requested inspections by the League of Nations. However, Germany refused on the grounds of being a non-member of the League of Nations.

The Chinese government's military had been assembling units with sufficient skill to be deployed and expected to achieve results. Their numbers amounted to approximately 500 aircraft. The majority were piston-engine fighters, with fewer than 100 of the highly anticipated new jet fighters, the FJ-2 Widerstandsjäger. However, not all American aircraft had been jet-powered; there were still active-duty piston-engine bombers and transport aircraft. The Chinese military staff believed that with FJ-2s, they could counterattack against American bomber squadrons that would likely come after interfering with F-1 Sabre fighters.

In a sense, China had already given up on aggressive aerial combat from the start. The focus of their air operations was on how to hinder the United States in securing aerial superiority. This decision was made due to the overwhelming numerical advantage of the land forces. China was confident that as long as it could prevent the US from freely operating in the air, victory would be assured.