In The Garden

In the castle of Volterra there was a beautiful inner garden in the Red Tower. It was an authentic renaissance composition in square shape with the upper levels holding an open corridor around the facade. At the center of the main floor was planted a hundred year old oak tree which was surrounded by branches and a thick layer of perfectly cut grass. At every corner lay four different flower beds with sculptures of four goddesses. Two of them suspiciously looked like the wifes of the ancients. It was like time travel. I almost expected some of the vampires to just open up their old closet and wear one of their medici-era clothing. 

I was walking in this miracle with master Aro by my side and Corin behind us. The sun gently peeked in, shimmering on the skins of the vampires around me. They didn't care. Between the safety of these walls the exposure was nonexistent. They enjoyed the warm touch of the summer star. White petals swept before my feet in a perfect circle. I still couldn't drop my shield and while the others were slightly content, I slowly but surely became pretty angry about it.

Inhale-outhale, inhale…. I concentrated on my breathing. All I needed to do was to ease up this tense knot in my stomach in order to retrieve the impenetrable force around me. Also the plan was set but the results failed to come.

Corin was supposed to help me feel content, only that her power didn't work on me, just like it wouldn’t on my mother. I told her it won’t but she insisted on helping me, saying she served Lady Sulpicia well for all these years, she won’t fail me either. Now she was staring a hole on the back of my skull wondering why can't she smooth me out. I told so but did she believe me? Of course not.

“It isn't working.” I told them grumpily. I tried to kick a stone but it flew away before my feet could make contact with it.

“Hmm.” Aro sighed. “Would we do something else…” He was thinking out loud. My case was truly an entertaining one. Unraveling the secrets of one's awakened ability is always so exciting. He thought to himself.

“Maybe.” I pouted. At least one of us has some fun. 

I wasn't sure how this works. Meditating didn't help when I tried to summon my shield when we were safe at the Amazons, and now meditating didn't do anything to switch it off. It is not something spiritual I recognised. But then what changed? Why am I projecting a shield when I wasn't able to do it before? I couldn’t take a hold on the main differences.

Jane’s tinkling laughter echoed from under the oak tree. She and Alec sat there playing a friendly chess game and by the sound of it Jane beated her brother quite mercilessly. They were the lucky few who could enter the master’s garden so in a way it was natural that they were here. Aro’s eyes gleamed when he saw them.

“Why don't we say hi to my dear children?” He smiled at me. I only nodded and followed him.

“Master Aro!” Jane beamed when she saw him. 

She stood and rushed into his arms. The ancient welcomed her warmly and pressed a kiss on her temple. Jane smiled brightly. Alec was right behind his sister just an arm length away. He wasn’t begging for attention but Aro noticed him either way and patted his head. I watched them from behind. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they had an affectionate relationship. After all they were the creations of Aro. His children by venom. When they turned out to be one of the most powerful vampires of course he was a proud father of theirs. He would do everything to support them. Until they try to leave him... Fortunately for them it never crossed their minds. 

“How was your day?” Aro asked his twins like a father would when his kids came back from school. They exchanged a mischievous look before they spoke. 

“Oh, nothing worth mentioning.” Alec glanced away suspiciously.

“Just the usual.” Jane backed up the earlier statement innocently. They were clearly lying but Aro let them. A small mischief isn’t the end of the world, he smiled at himself.