Hear My Case

I was waiting in a dimly lit office that had stinked in gasoline. Afton currently was in the process of renting a car in the middle of the night. It was a pretty challenging task but as I learned, with the right connections nothing is impossible.

My stomach growled uncomfortably. I didn't eat for days now, and my body couldn't decide that it was hungry or thirsty, both or neither of them. I could have thrown up only I didn't have anything inside of me. I felt sick. And tired. But somehow restless. 

“And before you leave the country you only need to call us and we will take the car back.” The officer explained blandly. 

When he got a call in the middle of the night he was quite rude but after we put the right amount on the table the rules are simply bent to our will. Isn't corruption a wonderful thing? Afton signed some papers and got the keys in hand.

He took a simple black car. Maybe a Renault, but what kind it was I didn't know. I was never good at naming and recognising vehicles.

 I was seated into the child seat and to my surprise Afton managed the seatbelts with parent-like proficiency. So he did learn some skills by spying on us.

“Would we find something to eat?” He looked into my eyes. He was taking in my state in. Shoot, I really looked awful.

“Yes please.” I told weakly.

“What would you like?” He then asked. 

He knew that I could go with anything but he asked anyway. I swallowed and I felt that crispy, dry burning in my throat that started a few hours ago. Nope. I won’t be able to get anything solid down.

“Something blood-like?” I was unsure. 

God save me from human hunting. One bad experience and I became overly paranoid. He smiled at me and nodded. He knew where he would get me dinner. He took his place behind the wheel and aimed the closest hospital.

“I will be back in a moment.” He turned back to me after he parked in front of a small clinic. I nodded and he disappeared in a flash.

The night was almost over. Faintly I could see the horizon getting greyer as the infinite darkness lost its edge against the rising sun. Time seemed to rush through me. Not so long ago I was with my family refusing to pack and go home, and now I didn't wish for anything but to be at that gloomy town called Forks. 

Wasn't I ungrateful? How many people get the chance to be reborn? Taking away the fact that this is a fictional world with vampires and mass murder, Wasn't I lucky? The fact that Edward and Bella are decent parents. I never had to worry about money, our clothes, or food. They were presented to me with a golden spoon. 

Was I ever thankful? Wasn't I just complaining about their overprotectiveness or their obsession with each other?  I surely was full of myself thinking I knew everything better since I read the books that this world was built on. 

I touched my wrists to play with my bracelets. I now realized one of the pair was missing. I must have lost it when I was chased. At this point I would have cried, if my body hadn't dried out. I loved these jewelry. I got them for my first Christmas. From who the family didn't speak of. They were pretty, and I wore them for so long. They grew on me. And now one of them is lost. I sighed as I looked outside of the window again.I had to admit, Fate really has a way to teach respect and humility.

The door opened next to me and Afton appeared. In his hand was a cooling bag. In it, I suppose, a few pouches of donated blood. He simply concealed his presence, went in, grabbed a bag and came out. Pro move if you ask me. He quickly put the loot next to me on the seat and took out a pouch. He ripped it open for me.