Chapter 59: Rin Becoming The Third Wheel

"I'm not an Uchiha tailgater. In the last grade-level practical combat, I ranked third!"

Obito noticed that Kakashi's impression of him was still based on the time before he studied with Mutsuki, so he directly revealed his last exam results.

"If being third also counts as a tailgater, then in that grade, there are only two people who aren't, and I was careless last time. Next time, I'll definitely be first!" Obito said indignantly.

Kakashi hesitated for a moment. Being third in the grade certainly didn't qualify as a tailgater. Considering Obito's performance in the youth Ninjutsu competition, he thought being third was quite normal.

However, Kakashi couldn't stand Obito's arrogance, so he spoke up:

"I really don't know if third qualifies as a tailgater because I've always been in first place. I have no idea what it feels like to be in third."

Obito opened his mouth but found himself unable to argue because it was the truth. When Kakashi was in school, he had absolute dominance, consistently ranking first.

"Oh, by the way, were you third in the theoretical exam? I ranked first in the theoretical exam," Kakashi added, striking a blow.

Obito felt like an arrow had struck his heart. Theory was his eternal pain. Forget about being third; he barely passed because Mutsuki helped him with extra lessons.

Although his theoretical grades were indeed not good, Obito wouldn't admit it in front of Kakashi. So, he stubbornly said, "During the last theoretical exam, I didn't sleep well the night before, so I performed a little worse than in practical combat. But this time will be different for sure!"

"Performing a little worse means how much worse? It can't be so bad that you didn't even pass, right?" Kakashi, who knew Obito very well, deliberately remarked.

As he expected, Obito immediately blurted out the truth.

"No, it's not like that. I just barely passed!" Obito retorted. It was his first time passing.

"Barely passing is a bit worse than being third. Your definition of 'barely' seems quite broad," Kakashi said, a hint of a smile appearing on his tone.

Obito fell silent. If he could become the Hokage, he would definitely issue a decree to abolish the theoretical exams at the Academy; they were too torturous.

"Obito has been working very hard lately. I see him studying every day. Perhaps he will make remarkable progress in the final exams," Rin spoke up for Obito.

Obito, who had been somewhat subdued, instantly returned to his usual self, feeling that the world was so beautiful.

Looking at the gradually receding figures of Might Guy and Shisui, even their silhouettes seemed a bit cute.

"Wait, Guy and Shisui are training, and here I am wasting time arguing with Kakashi?" Obito suddenly realized a problem.

With the give-and-take relationship, Might Guy would undoubtedly become stronger than him. When that happened, he would have to do more tasks, leaving him with less time to play with Rin.

"Playing with Rin means having to do more tasks, doing more tasks means less time to play with Rin, so playing with Rin means not having time to play with Rin." Obito came up with this somewhat strange logical chain in his mind.

Obito was somewhat puzzled about why Might Guy and Shisui would train together at night. One was from his clan, and the other was a classmate, yet he felt like an outsider.

Recalling the situation, Obito realized that he had been invited, but he had declined because he wanted to go and play with Rin.

At this moment, Obito was in a dilemma, wondering how to resolve this issue. Then, he noticed Kakashi, and an idea sprouted in his mind.