Chapter 7: Shadow of War

Frontline friction escalated, conflicts erupted, and the Hidden Cloud mobilized ninja forces into the Land of Hot Water, bordering the Land of Fire. The silhouette of what seemed to be the Eight-Tails Jinchuriki appeared.

Upon hearing this news, Mutsuki knew that the Third Great Ninja War was not far off.
Or rather, it had already begun, just not in full swing yet.

As an original Root Ninja, he knew there was something a bit more to it than for ordinary ninja.
Since the suicide of White Fang the previous year, the ninja world had been in a state of turmoil, with both the Hidden Cloud and Iwagakure, as well as the Sand, showing signs of unrest.

When Mutsuki used to watch anime, he simply thought White Fang was no different from other renowned strong individuals.

But after inheriting the memories of the original owner, he understood the true significance behind the title of White Fang.

While others became famous for defeating or surpassing a well-known strong individual, White Fang was different; he gained fame through killing, exhibiting an extremely high efficiency in taking lives.

Wielding a Chakra short knife, he directly transformed into an emotionless neck-cutting machine on the battlefield. Whether you're a Genin or a Jonin, a flash of white light, and it's game over.

It's not that White Fang's strength surpasses everyone, making him the strongest in the ninja world. Rather, his fighting style is particularly suitable for overwhelming weaker opponents. As long as they are weaker than him, they are easily taken out by him.

Seeing Konoha lose such a formidable warrior, other ninja villages would naturally harbor desires. Especially the Hidden Cloud Village and the Iwagakure Village, as these two ninja villages suffered minimal losses in the Second Great Ninja War and have developed to the point where they believe they have the strength to challenge for the top spot.

"Those annoying Hidden Cloud Ninja, can't they just behave themselves? Feels like we're heading into another war," sighed Ueda Aya.

"If White Fang-sama were still here, they definitely wouldn't dare to be so arrogant," complained Chitani Isamu.

"It's fine; we still have Lord Third-sama and Orochimaru-sama. We'll surely be victorious, just like before," Kimura Sugito said, trying to uplift the mood.

"If a war breaks out, will us senseis also receive combat missions?" Mutsuki asked the question that concerned him the most.

He didn't want to leave the ninja school. Although he could get stronger by training on his own, it's not as enjoyable as having some overpowered abilities.

"Depending on the intensity of the war, if it gets too intense, some senseis might be assigned to various units based on their specialties," replied Ueda Aya.

Upon hearing Ueda Aya's words, Mutsuki could only pray to the gods in his heart, hoping to draw a mission later or, better yet, not draw one at all.

Because in the Third Great Ninja War, Konoha had fought against all the other four major ninja villages, and it was exceptionally intense. At that time, the force of the ninja school senseis would definitely not be spared.

Mutsuki wasn't afraid of going to the battlefield; what he feared was going to the battlefield before he fully matured.

This Third Great Ninja War was indeed exceptionally dangerous. Firstly, the five major ninja villages were fighting recklessly, going all out. And in the shadows, Uchiha Madara and Black Zetsu were plotting something.

"You don't need to worry about Yumi-sensei. We're the top ninja village; it's impossible for us senseis to be sent to the battlefield," Kimura Sugito expressed confidence in Konoha.

"I'm not really worried about going to the battlefield; I just wanted to ask and be prepared for combat when the time comes," Mutsuki smiled.

Even though he didn't really want to go, he knew such sentiments couldn't be voiced.
Mutsuki fell silent, starting to practice calligraphy until the bell for class rang, and he headed towards the first-year class.

Standing at the door, Mutsuki looked into the classroom. The shadow of war hadn't affected the joy of the children; the classroom was filled with a cheerful atmosphere.

"Brother, how did my brilliant plan work out? Did you manage to handle your cousin as I suggested?" It had been two days, and Kamizuki Izumo was curious about Hagane Kotetsu's results.

"Oh, don't even mention it, brother. Your plan was good, but my cousin is just too cunning. After I followed your strategy, he unexpectedly took the exact same actions as me!" Hagane Kotetsu said, looking quite frustrated.

At first, the plan indeed worked well, and his cousin received a scolding from their aunt. However, what he didn't anticipate was that before he could take the next step, his cousin retaliated with the same trick. They were both kids, after all, with his cousin being just a year older—it was a childish affair.

In the end, the result was a back-and-forth of scolding and hitting until they had to call a truce. They jointly declared this deceitful plan as a "forbidden technique" not to be used.

"To think there could be such a cunning fellow," remarked Kamizuki Izumo with some emotion.

"Your cousin is really crafty. I can't think of any other strategy for the time being," apologized Kamizuki Izumo.

"It's alright, Izumo brother, you've helped me with several ideas. Now, tell me about your troubles, and I'll share the burden with you," Hagane Kotetsu offered in gratitude.

"I have a neighbor girl I'm interested in, but I don't know how to get closer to her," Kamizuki Izumo hesitated for a moment but eventually revealed his concern.

"This is easy. Just give her something she likes," suggested Hagane Kotetsu.

Kamizuki Izumo pondered for a moment and found the advice reasonable. "I noticed she often looks at the flower bed in front of my house when passing by. She seems to like flowers, and their house doesn't have any."

"Then give her flowers! She'll surely appreciate it," affirmed Hagane Kotetsu.

"Cough, cough, let's begin the class," Mutsuki lightly cleared his throat, reminding everyone that it was time for class.

The initially noisy classroom instantly quieted down, leaving only the sound of Mutsuki's lecture.

Though they had only spent four days together, everyone enjoyed Mutsuki's relaxed and engaging teaching style, willingly paying attention.

[Lecture Completed]

[Evaluation: A]

[Rewards: Water Release: Water Wall]

Seeing the name of this Ninjutsu, Mutsuki recalled information about Water Wall. It was a B-rank Water Release Ninjutsu that created a water barrier in front of the user.

It's worth mentioning that Tobirama's Water Wall is different from others. Tobirama's Water Wall forms a complete circle, providing 360-degree protection without any blind spots.

Examining the sudden influx of knowledge in his mind, Mutsuki discovered that he now possessed the ability to manipulate Water Release Chakra nature, something he couldn't do before.

Mutsuki thought it through; without a bit of knowledge on nature transformation, he wouldn't have been able to use Water Release at all. Mutsuki silently gave a thumbs up to the attentive system.
...
After school, Mutsuki took Shisui to a training spot he had found by the small river in the southern forest.

"Your Great Fireball technique is coming along nicely. Today, I'll teach you a new Fire Release Ninjutsu," Mutsuki announced, outlining the training plan for the day.

Finishing his words, Mutsuki clapped his hands, and instantly, he spat out three enormous fire dragons. Controlled by Mutsuki, the dragons circled in the sky before plunging into the water. They caused a significant amount of the river to evaporate, filling the air with white steam.

"Great Dragon Fire Jutsu," Shisui recognized the Fire Release technique at a glance, having seen an Uchiha Jonin perform it before.

It was precisely because Shisui recognized it that it surprised him even more. Mutsuki managed to effortlessly unleash three fire dragons with just a single hand seal.

Shisui's curiosity about Mutsuki's strength continued to grow.

"Pay close attention; I'll demonstrate it again for you." Mutsuki could tell from Shisui's expression that he had achieved the desired effect.

------

Don't forget to check out my patreon where you can read up to 50 advanced chapters https://www.patreon.com/CrazyNinja