The wilted lotus 🪷

Li Lian ,the only daughter of Li family, was another ordinary girl who was brought up well. There was none who had never heard of Li family industries in Yincheon. They were the owners of several hardware shops in the area. So they were well off when compared to some others.

On the other hand, Lu family, who had been friends with Li family for a long time, had plans cooking up in their heads. It was about their only son. Lu Zihan.

Zihan was completing his last semester at the University of Dengyan. His ultimate goal was to become a successful businessman in the city of Beijing. But there was a long way to go. His parents knew he needed support , so they thought of turning their friendship with Li family into a kinship. They proposed their son to Li Lian.

Li elders had nothing to disagree with. Neither Li Lian, for she secretly dreamt of him just like any other girl. During their college life, she already had a crush on him. He was smart ,bright, and handsome. She couldn't help.But as an average looking girl, she was not confident among pretty girls.

Of course, he had several girlfriends during the college years,but after he got selected to the University of Dengyan, he had broken up with her last girlfriend for some reason. And then no news from his personal life.

No one had asked her out in her college life,so Lian doubted her looks. But she wasn't ugly nor profoundly beautiful. Anyway, that made her become a little silent in nature, unlike other wealthy kids,she associated her middle-class friends ,so she never was a famous kid in college.

But now was her chance. Finally, her dreams are coming true. That didn't go unnoticed by Li elders. They were indeed happy for their daughter.

When Zihan came home at a weekend ,Lu elders accompanied him to Li residence to have the little conversation. 😉

They were wise enough to let Lian and Zihan have a talk while they themselves enjoyed the tea.

Lian and Zihan were out in the garden. Zihan initiated the talk.

"I actually want to tell you something. I....em...I do not like this proposal."

He let the cat out of the sack, and Lian didn't know how to react. Though she didn't show much of a reaction,the light of her heart died out at the very moment.

"I am sorry. I only got to know the matters today itself. If I had known before, I would have definitely stopped my parents. But...."

Then he looked at her. She knew she should say something.

"It's okay. We can stay friends. "

She said, wearing a slight smile, though they were never friends. Only their parents were friends.

"Thanks for understanding. "

He said, treating her with a smile.

She wanted to know why? Why did he reject her? Was it because he was already having a girlfriend or was it because she was not pretty enough.

But she could never utter anything. Her voice died inside her throat. The lotus, which had been blooming for days, had wilted under the rays of the scorching sun.

🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷
Lian means lotus. And I LOVE them.

This story won't be time-consuming yet would be worth the time