Master of the Mountain: Chapter 8 - The Darkest Hour

The clamour of people running and screaming accompanied by a blood-thirsty dragon called Grief Bringer chasing them was the only thing to be heard throughout the cavern tunnels. Katarina hadn't woken up for at least fifteen minutes as everyone ran for their lives. 

"That horrible cry! That's Mief-Bringer, the dragon! No mistake!" Murtessa pants. 

"You said Grief-Bringer was killed by some great hero!" Nya says. 

Murtess nods. "It was! It's back! Skull Sorcerer must have reanimated it!" She surmises. The skeletal dragon roars again. Yep, it was no mistake the Skull Sorcerer brought it back to life, and with the help of Hazza D'ur, too. Katarina was right, his magic was powerful, arguably more powerful than hers. 

"The cave! The Strong Cave!" Gulch yells to his fellow Geckles. Kai looks down at the Geckles, shocked. 

"What?!"

"The—the Strong-Cave. It's our... " Gulch stops to take a short breath of air. He wasn't used to running for long amounts of time, unlike the Ninja and the Geckles. "...our only hope!" Kai smiles. This is the only place to get everyone  to safety, away from that dragon. 

"Oh, finally, some good news. Guys—!" Gulch slaps a hand over Kai's mouth, causing the Fire Ninja to be confused by the gesture. 

"Shh! Don't say it out loud! Do you want the Munce to hear?" The Fire NInja looks down at Gulch, bewildered. Of course he wanted everyone to know, including the Munce. He couldn't believe the Geckles were still thinking about their stupid feud, even during a time like this. 

" Yeah, that's the point, Gulch! If we leave them out here, they'll get chewed up by that thing!" Gulch looks down to avoid Kai's gaze. Kai sighs, and shouts loudly, "Follow us, everyone!"

The Skull army, Hazza D'ur, the Skull Sorcerer and Grief Bringer were still on the other side of the lava ravine. They couldn't find a way to get across without risking large numbers of their army. 

"They flee into the mountain." Hazza D'ur breathes. The Skull Sorcerer growls. He points towards three large stalactites, big enough for them to use to get across to the other side of the mountain. 

"Bring it all down!" The dragon immediately obeys and flies towards the stalactites, and sends it all down with a smash of its head. The tips pierce itselves into the lava pool and into the ground, sucessfully creating a bridge. 

"After them. All of you!" The Skull Sorcerer commands his Skull army. They cross the bridge and get towards the other side. Grief Bringer roars again. 

The Ninja, the Munce and the Geckles finally make it into the Strong Cave, which turned out to be a makeshift bunker for the Geckles. Not enough supplies to support at least fifty or a hundred people, though. 

As everyone runs inside, Gulch pants, "Ch...Chancelor Kai...." He leans an arm onto Kai's shoulder as he catches his breath. "....you must order the cave sealed!"

" I have to actually say that?" He sighs, and turns towards the Geckles. "Okay, seal the cave! Now!" Two Geckles rush to the wheel and hurriedly begin to turn it. Everyone else turns towards the entrance, and see the bright green light get closer and closer. If only the door to the cave would close faster!

Suddenly, the door stops closing. The wheel stops spinning. "It's stuck!" One of the Geckles who were turning the wheel shout frantically. 

The army was getting closer. And so was the dragon and the Skull Sorcerer with the skull of Hazza D'ur.