Chapter 22

Before Ghost had a chance to dial Derrick's number they burst in my room.

Derrick pulls me to him. "Dear God, I thought you were gone."

"Stop assuming the worst, I won't let you bury me."

"I love you too." He whispers.

He grip tightens around me and I wince.

"Ok you're a little sore, I get it. We'll start on dinner and explain everything."

"Actually, I wanted to talk to her alone." Rachel inform everyone.

Everyone understands and everyone leaves except Malcolm.

When the door shuts she hugs us both.

"My babies, I love you." She tells us in Hindi.

"Mamma, we love you too." Malcolm replies in perfect Hindi.

"Jasmine, my fighter, you scared me today."

"I bet you weren't as scared as me." I tell her.

She smiles with tears in her eyes. "I had a friend like you back in India. He got me to jump off a cliff into freezing water. He reminded me of you when I heard you got hit by a car."

"Don't worry, I won't do that again."

"You would if it was for Malcolm." She replies.

I nod, knowing it was true, I'd do anything for that goofy. Malcolm sits next to me and hugs me.

"Come, I just wanted a moment with my children and your Hindi is wonderful." She praises reaching back to take Malcolm's hand.

I notice her cross tattoo on the back of her wrist.

I meet get eyes and smile. "Momma, got a tattoo?"

She laughs and we leave the room.

The smell of pizza fills the house. I grip the railing, but my body hurts trying to go down even over step.

Derrick and Ghost quickly come to us. Derrick takes care of Rachel and Ghost helps me.

The boys hand out pizza and we eat in comfortable silence. I look around and see we're all tired. Even Malcolm is.

Malcolm is never tired, he's a bundle of energy that never seems to go out.

"It was Vladimir, but we handled it for now." Derrick begins.

"How and what was that machine I was in?" I ask.

"Apparently, we're wanted dead by all agencies for payment of $400,000,000. I believe Vladimir just wanted revenge for his sister. The machine was something I invented for emergencies." Derrick answers.

"Wait $400,000,000?!" Ghost exclaims. "I did not sign up for this!"

"Technically, you still aren't!" Derrick hisses. "They don't know you're face or your name!"

"Derrick this is bullshit!"

"You arguing won't help shit!" I tell Ghost.

"Well tell me what the hell is the plan?!" Ghost demands.

"It's simple. Don't die and train and in a few years we'll take them on." Rachel tells him sharply.

"What's to keep me from leaving? Without me this is over! Without me none of you will be able even get past their firewall."

"Leave." Rachel tells him.

We all sit in silence trying to wrap our heads around this bounty.

"What?" Ghost asks.