Breaking up is hard to do

POV
Millie

As I walk back into the lobby alone this time, guilt washes over me. I couldn't help myself from kissing Nick. The spark in the kiss when our lips met didn't even come close to what X's did to me earlier but there still was something there.

I unlock my hotel room door that X has paid for and when I get in, I go straight to the bed to get my head in order. I love X and that is undeniable but what he did to me, was unforgivable, no matter how many pennies I throw into fountains trying to obtain that wish. And Nick.. oh Nick. He does not deserve this, he does not deserve half of my attention, half of my heart, half of me, while the other half belongs to someone else.

I feel awful for giving X the wrong impression tonight, I came on to him giving him false hope but he just has some sort of effect on me no matter what he does. When I'm with him I don't think straight, but when I'm with him I feel alive.

I look at my phone rereading the text he sent me an hour ago one too many times.

I text him back,

5 o'clock okay?

I can't lead him to believe we have a chance any more than I already have, tomorrow night, I need to have the hard talk with him, the we need to talk conversation.

...

Sunday morning, 5 more days until I get into my new apartment, I'm so close. I grab my phone and see two messages, one from Nick and one from X.

I open nicks first,

Thank you for last night, missing those lips already. I need to be back in L. A on Wednesday, can I see you?

That text makes my stomach do flip-flops in the best possible way. I text him back,

I'd love that

I now open the text from X dreading it,

Of course baby, I have a surprise for you

I don't reply to his message. God, what kind of surprise? Please don't make this harder on me than it needs to be.

...

It's now 3 o'clock and I've spent the day doing absolutely nothing but feeling nervous beyond belief for what needs to happen tonight. I've already showered and now I just need to do hair and makeup.

I do my hair in beachy waves, I add a light layer of lavender eyeshadow to my lids and apply a couple of coats of mascara to my lashes. It's a warm day so I pick out a lavender sun dress that is going great with the tan I've gained recently.

By the time I'm done getting ready, it's time to head to X's house to break his heart more than it already is.

I pull into the driveway feeling overwhelmed with anxiety, I notice the grand fountain first, it's lit up red. I drive a little closer and oh my god there he is. Sitting on the steps of the staircase with his legs slightly opened and his hands clasped together in between.

I park the car as fast as I can and get out.

"Woah.." I say in disbelief and he smiles brightly.

X is done the heck up. His hair is completely slicked back, showing every inch of his handsome face. He's wearing black fitted pants and a black fitted button-down shirt that is rolled up on his forearms showing off his tattoos. He looks so fucking incredible I can't get my breathing under control.

He slowly walks down the steps, taking a pair of sunglasses out of the pocket of his pants, he puts the sunglasses over his eyes and replaces the now-empty space in his pocket with his hands. I feel like I'm about to pass out at how goddamn attractive he is right now.

When he reaches me, he leans his head down and brings his lips to my ear, only a centimeter away. The scent of him is intoxicating and I'm in a high right now.

"You're making it obvious baby," he whispers into my ear and a smile breaks my lips apart at his words.

"You look beautiful too ya know," he says and he's pulling out all the old tricks on me.

I chuckle at his humor.

He takes my hand into his and guides me off the driveway and towards the beach.

I came here to officially break things off with him and the sight that sits in front of me has officially makes me halt at those thoughts.

Tears begin to gather in my eyes and I squeeze his hand within mine.