Taken interest

POV
Millie

It's now Friday morning and I dread having to go into work today to see Nick. I curl my hair, brushing it out after it's set. I do my makeup in neutral tones so it doesn't look like I'm trying to dress up for him today.

I walk out of the bedroom ready to go but still have a little time before I have to leave. I make myself a hot coffee. I don't add anything in, I take a sip of the black coffee.

"Yeah, no, not happening.." I say to myself with a scrunched face.

I grab the French vanilla coffee creamer out of the fridge, adding more than usual to dissipate the gross plain black coffee I had to force down my throat.

"So much better," I say to myself with a smile.

"Are you having a conversation with yourself mills?" Steph asks coming out of her room.

I laugh, "maybe..."

"Whatcha guys talking about?" She asks with a grin.

"Coffee," I say proudly.

"Well can Millie 1, ask Millie 2 to make me a cup while she's at it?" Steph asks sitting on a barstool.

"They say yes," I say with a wink. Ugh, why did I just wink? It brings me right back to Adria, after every conniving thing she did to me she always ended it with a wink.

I shake those thoughts away, not realizing that I literally shook too.

"Uhh, you good?" Steph asks me with a confused face.

"Oh yeah, just ignore me," I say turning my back to make Steph a cup of coffee.

"Yeah that's probably best," she looks at me like I've gone mental, which I have.

"Have you talked to Mia? How was her date?" I ask intrigued.

"She said it was good! They're going out again this weekend!" Steph says excited on Mia's behalf.

"Good for her," I say meaning it.

I finish with Steph's coffee and cautiously slide it her way. We drink our morning coffee together, with last night's tension completely evaporated.

When I'm all finished getting ready, I grab my purse and phone on my way out.

The drive seems way too short this morning as I anxiously pull into the parking lot. I walk in, greeting the receptionist as I now know as Natalie. I take my nervous steps to Nick's or I guess my new office.

Nick is on the phone half sitting on the desk and half standing with one leg on the ground looking fine as ever in a dark gray short-sleeved shirt and blue jeans.

Pretty sure I just missed a breath.

He holds up his index finger indicating he'll just be a minute.

He hangs up with whoever he was talking to about an upcoming project from what I've gathered.

He looks me up and down, "missed the memo? It's casual Friday," he chuckles.

I look down at myself, I'm wearing a black pencil skirt and a beige sleeveless blouse. I shrug my shoulders, "guess so."

"Alright, well let's get to it," Nick says standing up off the desk and sitting in the chair behind the desk.

I sit next to him in my usual spot.

"I like what you did with the place," he says looking around.

"Thanks," I say with a smile.

"So where do you want to go tomorrow night?" He asks the dreaded question.

I shrug my shoulders, "I don't know, something casual?" I ask, not wanting anything romantic.

"Okay sure, I'll think of something." He says.

"Okay," I say shyly and he smiles at my loss of confidence.

The rest of the work day is spent with me being way too shy, Nick packs some of his belongings because come Monday he's transferring to the Santa Barbara location.

It'll either suck if the date goes well or be a blessing if it doesn't and I still don't know which way I want it to go.

X hovers my mind throughout the day and I try to get it to subside but it's just not working. I catch myself thinking about what he's doing now that we're over, has he moved on? Has he gone back to his old ways? The thought makes my stomach hurt, would he feel the same as I do if he knew that I've taken an interest in someone else?