Betrayal at its finest

POV
Ghost

I close the oversized entryway door behind me with two bags of essentials in hand. I've successfully left the inside of the house without getting noticed.

Something captures my eyes at the bottom of the staircase. I slowly take step after step before it comes into view.

Blood, blood catches my eye first.

I'm puzzled, there's blood, broken glass, and a black gun with its magazine off to the side.

Who shot who?

My mind is at a loss of what had happened out here, who would shoot someone right outside of the house? We have special places for that sort of thing.

Forget that, I need to get out of here, I need to get to Arizona.

I briskly walk the rest of the way down the stairs replaying what happened only an hour or so ago.

I hated Millie, she made me look stupid in front of X. For the longest time I thought she worked here.

Adria hated her just as much as I did, she stole the man she most likely loved from under her.
We knew Hugo was coming here so we set up a plan to break Millie and X up. Adria came up with the idea and I executed it.

When X sent me to Columbia after our last meeting, I spoke with Hugo.

I betrayed X.

I hated X, he's a little shit that got handed the business on a silver platter that I worked my whole life for. I worked side by side with Emilio, X's father, we built this business together alongside Mateo, Julian's father. The three of us were successful and thriving. When Emilio's brother killed him, he didn't even see it coming, he was shot point blank in his sleep and I was regretfully happy until I found out all of this fucking work I put in got handed to a young little prick, X. I had to take orders from a man that could be my son. I wanted him to pay. He fucking knew better than to fall in love, he made it so obvious like the naive little boy I knew he was. I told Hugo that X had been distracted by a girl, because he had, I wasn't lying. Adria, Hugo, and I jumped at that opportunity. The plan was to throw X off with Hugo coming early, Hugo would offer up his daughter demanding that he show her a good time and then I would be on watch-out duty, luring Millie out to witness just how shitty of a person X is.

All was going well and exactly as planned until Millie opened the door, clearly in X's clothing.

I astonished myself when I apologized to her for my actions. My plan was only to tell her that X couldn't find his phone and wanted me to escort her down to where he was but instead, I apologized to her.

We made it to room 314, she held the gold door knob in her hand looking overtaken with anxiety and that's when it hit me.

Remorse, guilt, and heartbreak.

I no longer saw Millie there, I saw my daughter.

My beautiful 21-year-old daughter, Gabrielle.

That's all I saw was her. What if that was Gabrielle ready to get her heartbroken by the man she loved, even if he was a piece of shit?The rare emotion of guilt washed over me and I pleaded for Millie to not open the door.

Anxiety, nervousness, fear, and curiosity won her over though. She opened the door, and she walked out with that new image in her mind. My heart broke for that girl who was nothing more than collateral damage and leverage to me only hours before. I saw this empty and numb young woman walk past me and although I wanted to apologize to her for my vile actions, sorry would mean next to nothing to her in that moment.

I dissipate my thoughts as I come closer to my car.

I keep my eyes on my white Chevy Tahoe, almost there, I take the handle in my hand ready to pull until I feel something pressed at the back of my head, a gun.