17 - Verxes Blade

Verxes Blade

The following is an account of the Verxes Blade, a type of sword that is believed to have been the first to be imbued with 'pact magic.'

Origins

Many legends and rumors exist regarding the origin of the blade. Some say it was forged by an aspect, others say it was born from the souls lost during the 'great divide,' some even claim it was created during a maelstrom of magic in the fey realm. However, most of these stories and legends are recognized as being nothing more than marketing gimmicks. The most likely theory is that it was designed by a craftsman named Versal Relcure.

Versal was a member of the Vercuren guild, the guild responsible for creating the Vercuren Spirit Citadel, the source and catalyst for pact magic. While most members of the Vercuren guild stayed behind to maintain the citadel, Versal was believed to have been one of the few who returned.

Versel was a mage who initially specialized in contracts. However, after leaving the citadel, they began forging magic items in the (redacted) realm. Records show that their crafts were 'adequate' in quality and reliable in use but nothing special. Some theorize that they produced mediocre quality products in order to avoid drawing attention to themselves, as attempts were being made to identify and capture members of the Vercuren guild. However, this cannot be confirmed.

After Versel's death, their shop was brought up by a merchant known as Krek. In the workshop, Krek had discovered schematics for a magic item that would come to be known as the Verxes blade. The schematics sought to do something revolutionary at the time, imbue 'pact magic' into a weapon. As spirit magic was considered a craft-focused magic, it was exclusively used to control the flow of energy in magic weapons. However, the creation of pact magic made using spirit magic as the primary magic in weapons viable.

As Krek was not a spirit mage nor a craftsman, they did not understand the schematics nor its value and sold it to the Bordel guild. The Bordel guild would then use the schematics to create the first pact magic infused weapon, the Verxes blade. A weapon that would elevate their reputation and turn them into a respected and successful craft guild.

Function

The function of the Verxel blade was simple in nature. The pact magic imbued in the blade would grant the user power in exchange for slowly cutting them. As the Bordel guild simply used the schematics, they did not fully understand the limits and abilities of the blade. However, the (redacted) conducted various experiments on the blade; the following are the conclusions drawn from these experiments:

1 - The exact size of the cuts would vary; however, they always appear on the surface and would be nonlethal in nature.

2 - Initially, the cuts would be shallow; however, the longer the blade is used, the deeper they will become.

3 - While active, the blade would increase the user's physical abilities, such as strength, speed, and reflexes. However, it has also been shown to interfere with the use of magic.

4 - While active, the blade is able to cut through weak threads of magic, reducing magical defenses.

5 - Cutting oneself with the blade does not grant additional effects.

Conclusion

While revolutionary for the time, the design for the original Verxes blade has become obsolete, with more efficient and functional pact magic infused items being created. However, there is little doubt that the Verxel blade pioneered the creation of the 'Pact Series' of magic weapons and items. The schematics, while possessing no practical use, are stored in the (redacted) due to their historical significance. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there, If you enjoyed please leave a like a follow. It really helps me out a lot. Leave a comment as well letting me know what you think. I'd appreciate knowing what you thought of it.

For updates join our discord - https://discord.gg/PaFQbarWMC

Check out my YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@zesuvious

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMKbid97bHCkztnmsAtPFug?sub_confirmation=1