~Selfish~ Rohirat

'Virat Kohli only plays for personal milestones'......

'Virat Kohli is an extremely selfish player as he does not care about the run rate'..............

'If Rohit was as selfish as Virat he would have like same amount of century..................'

'The only thing that Virat is better at than Sachin is being the most selfish guy on the team...................'

These were the news that could frequently be seen in headlines of most of the news channels and newspaper. Ever since the world cup people just wouldn't stop talking about how Virat was a 'selfish' player who was only playing for his personal milestones. Which everyone knew was proper bullshit but did he?

He had never once thought about his personal achievements over the teams. Whenever he looked back at the highlights of the world cup the first thing that would flash in front of his eyes was the heartbreak, then the smile on Rohit's face as he ran across the field on 15th November, then he would think about how he teased Shubi on scoring his first half century with Sara in the stands, he remembered joy felt and the love shared.

Maybe for most people his 50th century was the peak of the WC for him, but for him? It wasn't even close. People would be shocked to death if they got to know that it was the day he got out on a duck, in Lucknow. When he clapped the loudest for his best friends captain's knock and celebrated by lifting him up in the air least bothered about what media would think.

If all of this made him selfish, then what would he need to do to change it?

"Bhaiyaaa! Dinner is on come downstairs please" Shubi said and Vi snapped out of his thoughts.

He went downstairs and sat down. Rohit was surrounded by all the kids listening to all their demands and complaints.

Amidst all the friendly chaos of the others Vi was able to silence the chaos stirring up in his mind. He had gotten good at this game of playing responsible senior hiding his own problems so that he could lend his shoulder to the juniors when they needed him.

He sometimes wondered if Mahi bhai had ever felt like this? If he had been this insecure? Of course he might have been, he was also a human at the end of the day.

Vi was admiring the chaos unusually silent, unaware that a warm pair of eyes were watching over him.

After dinner when everyone returned to their room Ro walked to him, "Walk?" he asked knowing Vi could never refuse that offer.

Ever since Bhai had left and they had become seniors it had become kind of like a ritual to go on silent walks to ease their minds. So obviously Vi agreed.

They went out in the garden. Walking side by side silently. Ro knew something was up with Vi, but he didn't ask. Because that was what made their friendship so special, the fact that there was no need to ask. One would just simply answer.

Rohit knew that eventually Vi would open up, because he had gotten much more mature now. He wasnt the same Virat who locked himself up and refused to talk to anyone after he got out on a duck. He was now the one who clapped the loudest for other's runs when he didn't score any.

"Am I really selfish Rohit? I mean have you ever felt that I played just for my self?" Vi asked after a long comfortable silence looking at the ground.

"No, Vi never. You are not selfish, never were. Not when you were batting at 24 years of age, not as a captain and not now. You care for the team more than yourself and you know it." Ro said and Vi believed it.

"Trust me Rohit I would sacrifice all my centuries if it meant we would win that night. I-" he couldnt finish. He didn't need to.

After a few minutes Ro said, "I know. Besides, we were making runs only while you were playing so called selfish innings."

It hurt Rohit to talk about it but he had to because it was his best friend he needed to console.

Vi knew it had tore him apart to just say two lines about that day but he still did.

"You're an incredible captain Rohit" Vi said and Ro was taking aback. "I said it as your best friend and not as your captain, Vi."

"It's not about now Rohit. I know whats going through you with MI and the world cup. I know you are blaming yourself but please Ro never think that you are a bad captain. You are one of the greatest" Vi said his voice filled with emotions.

And that is what Ro needed. When the whole world was lauding Ro for his selfless captaincy, he needed this approval from the 'Selfish' Virat kohli.

They looked up at the stars and thought about how far they had come. On a similar night like this ten years ago they had been just Rohit and Virat, today the weight of Indian Cricket was on their shoulders. Maybe it had been better when they were just carefree youngsters not having to worry about so many things.

But Alas, they had grown up. In all the years their world had changed only their bond was the only constant. The constant that could never be altered.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

A/n found this from an old asf draft and edited it a little
Also the fact that I have so many ideas before and during exams but when I'm free I get the biggest writer's block smh.