Chapter 28: Winter

“Dad.”

My voice trembled, as I called him. After so many days, I got to contact him again. I finally collected every ounce of courage in me to contact him. Did he missed me the same way I did?
But I think, he didn’t. The other end remained hushed.
He still holds grudges against me?
Sniffing, I tried to make him talk to me.

“Dad, how are you and Mum?”

“So? You finally realized you have parents too? Or did he  showed you his true colours?”

“Dad don’t bring Theodore in between. Not after what you did to him.”

My blood boiled in his mention. Dad sighed from the other end, almost giving up.

“You called me to make me realize this? Well, I did nothing wrong.”

“Dad.”

I cried. My whimpers grew with every passing second.

“Don’t be like this.”

I whispered. I felt as if I am crying in front of a stone. Who is showing no possible reaction to me tears.
Well, I am not surprised. Wasn’t he always like this? This strict and never melted after seeing me in tears.

“You chose him Winter. Above your own parents.”

“I chose him above your mountain big ego.”

I screamed, as if wanted to engrave this as a script in his mind.

“We have got nothing to discuss any further.”

He was about to hang the call on my face.

“I am marrying him.”

A long silence stretched in between us. I know he have been taken a back.

“You need to respect him.”

I demanded. And he scoffed. As if a child is asking for some absurd item from market.

“I am never going to give any respect to that bastard.”

“Dad. Why can’t you just let it go. You wanted money. Well, I am with a man who loves me as well is rich. What else do you need?”

He laughed. My confusion grew. Has he finally gone mad?

“And what about the dirty blood he has in his vein? Are you going to filter it out?”

“What dirty blood does he carry?”

My voice raised as our conversation proceeded.

“His father. He left him and..”

“..And his mother. So? Is that’s a mistake he committed? He asked him to leave him?”

My frustration streamed out like some boiled lava.

“He should have known his place. Where he belongs to. Where his impure blood belongs to.”

“Well, then I am sorry to disappoint you. But soon his impure blood will be flowing in your lineage as well.”

I let it out. Finally. After I got to know that soon I will be having a baby, I never thought my dad to be the first person to whom I will tell about it.
But eventually, I did it. I told him.
Pin drop silence blanketed us.

“You..”

“We don’t have elders among us. Please do come and give us your blessing. Walk me down the altar.”

“You have the audacity to ask me that? How dare you?”

He shouted. It felt like he would tear my ear drums. I turned shushed once more. What big have I asked him to give me such a reaction. Once more my emotions got set on roller-coaster mode.