Chapter 14: Winter

“Call him.”

“Sorry?”

After crossing nine months like riding a unicorn in Shangri-La, finally my dad came to know about us dating. My frequent absence, excuses of extra classes and what not got me caught. At first he suspected me, but later he was confirmed when one of his clients saw us kissing in park.

“You clearly know whom I am talking about.”

He peeped at me from above the glasses sitting on his nose bridge.

“Don’t act innocent.”

He moved his concentration back to the newspapers open in his hands.

“You want to meet Theo?”

He once again removed the newspapers enshrouding his face and casted me an arched eyebrow.

“Theodore.”

I whispered.

“How is he in studies?”

He answered my question with a question itself.

“He is one of the top students of our college.”

“Yet again wasting his time in dating.”

The bloom my face had seconds ago while describing his intelligence, wilted away.

“He..”

I paused and dad looked back at me.

“Because he loves me.”

He smirked, as if I have cracked some joke of the century.

“There is no such thing as love exists in this world.”

I dipped my head low. I can’t. I just cant oppose my dad. For some unknown power that he holds, that pressurizes me beneath him, gets my tongue to tie.

“What does his father does?”

“He left them.”

I whispered and my dad got pulled towards the conversation. Folding his newspaper, he placed it on the centre table. And I knew. It’s not a good thing when he place all his concentration on someone. Something bad is coming.

“Them?”

I dipped my head.

“Theodore and his mother.”

“And his mother? What does she do?”

“She... passed away.”

“Uggghhhh.”

He growled in frustration.

“His academic fees?”

I paused. I am done for today. I cant take it anymore.

“He does part times and also scholarships.”

‘Winter.”

He screamed. I don’t know what he was so mad about. Theo is seriously the best man I have ever met. Good in studies, has a promising future, respects me and my wishes and everything a girl finds searches in a man. What’s wrong with my dad? Is he that mad about money and power? That thirsty to sell me in good hands? And was I that blind to decipher my own father.

“I want to meet him.”

“Leave him alone dad.”

I shouted. I literally shouted at his face. My dad’s eyes enlarged with shock, my mums knitting stopped. Everything halted on its places. Might be because this is the first time ever I have opposed him.

“You.. you can’t. Please.”

“By five at the evening I am expecting him.”

Saying his part, he stomped towards his room and I let the breath go I have been holding for I don’t know how long.

I gave a call to Theodore, informing him about my dads wish to meet him. First he got nervous, yet he turned up at evening, dressed in his best shirt and pair of pants.
Tears welled up in my eyes, I wish we cross today’s storm safely. I cant afford to hurt him.
I hugged him, and walked him to where my dad and mum were.

“Good evening sir.”

Theodore wished dad cheerily at which, he threw cold freezing water.

“Have a seat.”

Without giving him a reply, dad gave him instruction. I don’t know if it did affected Theodore or not. Because if it did, he didn’t showed it on his face.

“Winter told me you are one of the brightest student.”

Theodore looked at me and smiled before replying.

“Thank you, sir.”

Room felt silent. Our butler placed a cup of tea for everyone. Theodore was about to grab his cup when dad again spoke, halting him in his actions.

“Than what’s the need for a girl like Winter?”

He looked blank. Blank like a white sheet. He blinked twice before opening his mouth to speak but before he can do so, dad spoke again. This time with a smile plastered on his face.

“Of course a rich girl, I meant.”

Theodore turned silent. So did I. I never knew he would act so rashly with Theodore.

“Winter told me your dad left you.”

Theodore turned to me. And I kept looking at my dad. Does he have to separate us so rashly? In such a harsh way. The beautiful garden we planted, does he have to destroy it even before flowers can bloom?

“Dad, please.”

I whispered. But not even for once he turned to look at the plea my eyes were doing.

“And your mum left you at very early..”

“Thank you sir. I had a nice time with you. But I need to be somewhere else.”

Theodore stood up even before dad can complete himself. He was about to walk off when I held Theodore’s wrist. A lone tear fell down from the brim of my eyes.
He looked back at me, passed me his sweetest smile, caressed his hand over my cheeks and walked off.
I broke into tears when he went off. I cried like something broke deep down in me. Within me.

“How can you be this mean?”

I shouted at his face. But he remained all calm. Not a single line of worry crossed his face.

“Behave. Your earlier behaviour got your Theo in trouble.”

I looked at him in disbelief. Is he for real? Is he this evil? The hero I thought since I was a child never existed. The shine of money has blinded him. If it is so, than it was better when we didn’t had any money.

“Dad.”

I sobbed badly.

“Why would you..”

“Break up with him.”

Silence buzzed on my ears. I looked at him as if he had lost it. I can’t. I love him. For the first time I have felt something like this for a man. I cant part my ways with him.

“No.”

I too stood up from my seat.

“Think carefully Winter. If you will do that, I will sponsor his studies in one of the best colleges in Austin. I will not let him know I am the one doing that. But if you don’t..”

He turned back to me.

“I will make his life a living hell. He wont get any job not only here but any corner of this world. I will make sure that no company hires him once he graduates. No one invest if he ever plans a start up.”

He grabbed my shoulder and smiled.

“Think carefully princess.”

He walked off. Tears in my eyes, blurred my vision. I closed them. I need energy, will power.
To face Theodore.

Next day we decided to meet near lake, where I proposed him. Like that day too I was waiting for him. When he came, tears on its own formed a shin layer above my sclera. Looking at me, Theodore panicked.

“Hey, everything okay?”

He sat in front of me, holding my hands in his’.
I nodded my head in agreement and wiped them off my face.

“Don’t worry. It’s okay. It’s our parents duty to worry about their child. Same thing is done by sir.”

I looked at him and fresh tears rolled down my cheeks. How can he be this good? I am lucky that short, but I did had a good quality time with him. These will be the best memory I will ever have. Best man I ever came across in my life.

“I will make myself capable enough, that he doesn’t doubt us ever in future.”

More tears rolled down. With a heavy heart I slipped my hand out of his’. He frowned and looked down at my action.

“Please don’t go there. I think..”

I paused. Panic was clearly visible in his black stones.

“I think we must concentrate on present.”

I sniffed. Theodore went silent. His face turned expressionless.

“And if you are so determined to take things further than...”

I sobbed. I cant proceed. My words slashed my own heart, I don’t know what they were doing to Theodore.

“..Than we shall break up. I cant proceed with someone like you...”

Hey my lovely readers,
I hope you all to be fine and healthy.
A dark phase for Winter and Theodore. But yeah, everything is going to be fine.

Thank you,
Your author,,
~Galen_Yana...♡