Chapter 36

The Red Keep is quiet, too quiet.

"You are sure?" the Queen asks her handmaiden, Talya.

"With his own eyes, Your Grace." the maid responds, looking at the ground.

Alicent lets out a sob, covering her mouth to stop the sound from coming out, afraid she will wake up the rest of the Keep.

She sniffles and manages to get up from her bed, "Stay here. Tell no one."

Talya nods and looks at the Queen.

"Help me dress."

•••

Reina is tossing around in her bed, not being able to close her eyes. Something is wrong, she can feel it. Her heart is heavy as she watches the dark sky and the bright moon.

"What is wrong?" Aegon mumbles, his face buried in the crook of her neck.

"Nothing." she grips his hand that rests upon her large belly.

"Did you have a nightmare?" he raises his head and looks at face her, resting his chin on her shoulder.

"No, I just can't sleep..." she whispers, "Something bad happened, Aegon. I can feel it."

"You are just tired. Relax and go to sleep."

Reina shakes her head and sits up, sitting on the edge of the bed. She looks at the door and listens to every footstep that could be heard.

Aegon rubs her back, up and down, trying to make the woman calm down her nerves.

"I feel it..."

"Feel what?"

"Death."

His eyes widen and he sits up as well, "What do you mean?"

"Someone died tonight, Aegon. I fear this death will only bring chaos upon the realm."

•••

"Who knows?" the Hand watched the fire burning in the fireplace. The flames illuminating his face.

"My handmaiden, Talya." the widow Queen replies, fiddling with her fingers. "Some of the servants."

Her father sits down at the table, across of her.

"I saw him last night before he..." she shakes her head, tears filling her eyes again.

"He told me he wished for Aegon to be King."

Otto looks shocked at his daughter, not believing her words.

"It is the truth." Alicent looks in his eyes, "Uttered with his own lips."

"His last words to me and I was the only one to hear it. And now he's dead."

•••

Reina walks around the dark halls, holding a hand over her stomach.

As soon as she reaches the council meeting room she freezes when she hears Otto's voice.

"The King is dead."

The woman covers her mouth in shock as reality hits her. She knew something was wrong, she knew someone died. Yet Aegon did not listen to her words, going back to sleep as soon as she left the chamber.

She hears someone walking behind her. The person pats her on her shoulder and she looks back, coming face to face with Larys.

Her eyes widen and she takes a step back, in fear. The man smiles and pulls his hand away from her body.