Chapter 16

Larys was reading the letter the Lord of Highgarden sent him, when a knock interrupted him.

Otto Hightower entered the room, smiling proudly. "Lord Strong." he says, sitting down on one of the divans.

"You seem happy, My Lord. Any particular reason?" Larys asks, hiding the paper under his pile of books.

"Aegon will have an heir." the Hand answers, pouring some wine in one of his goblets.

"I have heard about it." the crippled man says. His tone is sharp and almost angry. Envy engufles him from all sides, thinking about how Reina could have been the mother of his children.

"You do not seem too delighted." Otto laughs, sensing the change in Larys's tone.

"Should I be delighted?" he looks at him with an eyebrow raised. "That girl was supposed to be mine."

"The King made a unexpected choice, but a wise one." the Hightower lord says, smirking. "I will pray to the Seven Gods that he will have a son."

"As well as I will." Larys says, glaring at the older man.

"I should leave you with your duties and whispers." Otto sits up, putting the goblet down gently.

Larys just nods in his direction, not really paying attention to his words.

He has to know every little thing that happens with Reina. The girl almost killed him the day her mother died, she won't hesitate when she will find out her suspicions were true.

•••

Aegon had been extremely careful with his wife after he found out she is carrying his child.

He spent almost all his time with her and he stopped drinking that much. The thought that he will be a father in no time makes him happy, but scares him as well. He doesn't want to fail his child, like his father failed him. He doesn't want to become like his father, he promised Reina he will love the child dearly.

"Have you thought of any names?" Aegon asks her, rubbing her belly.

"No. Have you?" Reina looks in his eyes, playing with his silver hair.

"Me neither. I can't wait to meet him." he answers, grinning like a little child.

"Do you think it will be a boy?" the girl asks, braiding his locks.

"My father's instincts say it will be a boy." Aegon says, kissing her cheeks.

Reina laughs at his words, finishing braiding his hair. Aegon looks at it and chuckles.

"I already imagine you with a huge, round belly." he laughs, "Your dresses will not fit you anymore."

"Do not remind me." Reina sighs leaning her head against the pillows.

"They will all be tight, won't they? You will be so big and round." there is a hint of teasing in his voice and he leans in to give her nose a kiss. "How are you feeling? Not too much pain?"

"Not yet, though the headaches are still there." she says.

"Well, I've been thinking of something that would help with your headaches. Would you be ready for another round of.." he whispers, but his voice cuts off when there is a sudden loud and sharp knock on the door.

He lets out a sigh and lifts his head up to look at the door. He knows that it is Alicent who knocks for she is the only one who always comes knocking on the door at this early hour. He is not in the mood to be dealing with her, but it seems he has no choice.