Chapter Twenty Five

✧

When Declan drops me home later that evening, I have a smile practically tattooed onto my face. I'm going to feel like this forever. I hope. I'm praying. Because being with Declan is like you've won the most valuable prize. His company is the prize.

I have no idea how we've stumbled into this situation but I'm not complaining. I'm also not complaining about the fact that I asked if whatever is happening between us is going too fast—because what I said is true, I don't want him to regret anything.

I don't want to mess up this entire deal with Declan and the business because something happens between us.

If I'm honest, I don't exactly know how Declan feels for me but I can guess. He cares about me, that's obvious. He likes kissing me as much as I like kissing him. He certainly enjoyed that blowjob. But not rushing into things right now makes my heart settle because it tells me that I can be calm and laid back. I don't have to do everything a thousand times a minute.

Crazy Luca is no more. We hope.

As I walk up to my front door, Declan waits in his car until I get through the door. I smile at that gesture alone. The tightness of my heart makes me feel faint—but in a good way. As I walk through the door my mother is still awake, sitting in the living room watching the TV.

Her face lights up as I walk inside. "Ah, there you are."

"I told you not to stay up for me," I tut at her.

She waves me off as if it's nothing. "How could I stay up when I know that my son is on a date with the man that he really likes?"

A groan echoes from the back of my throat, eyes rolling in the process. "Mum, it wasn't a date." I clarify. At least I don't think it was a date. "He just invited me over for dinner."

Her eyes glimmer in my direction. "Sure, sure." She nods and purses her lips.

"Please don't ask me to give you the details," I begin to cringe when she continues to stare at me.

My mother shakes her head. "I don't want to know what you guys get up to," she chuckles gently. "I just want you to be happy. And I know you're happy around him. He brings out a new light in you, Luca. I haven't seen it for a little while."

I blink at her words and lean into the wall, folding my arms over my chest. "Really?"

"Really," she says confidently.

My lips press together as I hum. "Well it's not just that, the cafe too."

She smiles back at me. "Of course," she nods but I can tell she isn't convinced.

"Anyway, I'm going to bed," I say as I push off the wall. "Goodnight."

"Love you, my boy," she calls after me as I walk down the hall.