Chapter Fifteen

✧

After the walls have been painted and the light re-installed without any damage to my face or the rest of the cafe, we get to work with everything else. Declan ordered new flooring to be laid down, he also ordered new counters to go with our new colour scheme.

Whilst he does all the work, I've been mostly tidying up and searching for plants and art online as he does almost everything. He doesn't seem to mind, I don't think. We both know that I might fuck something up if I try and put something together, it's best I stay away.

My only strength is the ability to paint and figure out what to hang on the walls.

I'm totally fine with that responsibility. At least it's safe and I know what my mother will want, it's practically a no brainer.

A tap at the front door has me glancing away from my phone. Declan is pretty much destroying the old counter after we moved all the items inside the cupboards and around the till area.

He didn't take his t-shirt off today, which I'm grateful for. Although he's sweating through that white t-shirt that clings to his biceps and every damn muscle he owns. I can practically see that six pack through the sheer fabric that has been dampened from his sweat.

I hate to admit it's a good look. Especially with smears of dirt down the top and over his hands. Best believe I've tried my hardest not to ogle him today but it's nearly impossible when he's now being the most active.

Let's not talk about the grunts he makes when he ripped the cabinets from the walls.

It's going deep inside my memory for another future shameful experience.

I glance over at the door and spot Alex standing in the glass window, he waves in my direction. As I stand from the chair, I make my way towards the front door and unlock it. He smiles at me when he steps inside. "Hey," I say warmly, taking in those grey eyes I once fantasised over.

"Hey," he nods, then he glances around the cafe. "Wow, this place looks so different already."

I hum in response and look around with him, noticing how Declan has stopped working and is now looking at the pair of us. Alex raises a hand in his direction."Hey," he says to Declan.

He raises a hand as a greeting and presses his mouth into a smile before getting back to work. "I've been walking past everyday on the way to work, thought I'd pop in today and see how things are going. I'm excited for the re-opening."

"Yeah, we really need to plan that." I nod and run my hand down the back of my head. "Should be done by the end of the week, it's a total mess right now but Declan has been super handy and done most of this."

Alex's eyes wander again. "I'm impressed," he says, folding his arms over his chest. Then he watches Declan from across the room but he's not looking in our direction. "Alone time all day, huh?"