Chapter Seventeen

✧

Even though the cafe is decorated and ready to launch again next week, we still have to work through new ideas to make Chessman's inviting. I've already had loyalty cards designed and ordered to deliver on Monday, along with enquiring about local food sources so lunch meals can be purchased.

Luca is currently rummaging through the cupboards and attempting to come up with new creative drinks. We both agreed that the cafe should do a drink of the week and write it on a chalkboard to place outside the shop for people to see.

"So, I think we're definitely going to need to hire someone else," he comments as he stands from behind the counter and inspects two bottles of syrup. "Because if we're doing fancy drinks and food, I won't be able to do this on my own."

I lean back in my chair and nod. "I know, Luca. I don't expect you to run this place by yourself. I want you to be in one piece by the end of it, for my own sanity."

He tilts his head in my direction, clearly confused by my choice of words. I don't want to suggest all these new ideas and burn Luca out at the same time, it's going against everything we agreed at the start.

"We'll put an advertisement in the window," I nod at him. "After the new launch."

"Sounds good," he hums. "Do you think a white chocolate caramel mocha would be nice?"

I press my finger to my temple and stare back at Luca as he continues to read the back of the labels. My lips curl into a smile as I watch him, his eyes narrowing to try and read the tiny print of ingredients.

When I don't respond, he turns to me. "Yeah," I nod. "I mean, sweet drinks like that aren't my thing but I know someone is going to love that. Besides, winter is approaching and people kill for drinks that make them feel cosy."

Luca laughs gently and he grabs a notebook and scribbles the idea down.

"Why are you laughing?" I ask.

"I never thought the word cosy would come out of your mouth," he flicks those blue eyes to me and I suddenly feel hot from that stare. "Just makes me think of you being at home in a hoodie and tracksuit bottoms and that is weird."

It's my turn to laugh. He's thinking of what I look like at home? "You think I wear this suit everyday?" I quirk a brow.

A little smirk wanders its way onto his face. "I've never seen you take it off, the only exception being when we decorated. And of course, you didn't get comfy, you just took your damn shirt off."

"I had paint on me," I shake my head, lips in a permanent smile.

Luca rolls his eyes playfully. "Yeah, sure. Because no normal person would just wipe off the paint and get on with their day."

"I didn't hear you complaining," I lean further back into the chair, resting my arm on the back in a comfortable stance. "In fact, I'm pretty sure I heard your head hit the wall because you were too busy staring."