Chapter Three

✧

I've been visiting the same cafe almost every day for the last two months. After I sold my company, I had a lot of free time on my hands. Lots of time to think about my next project and the last place I wanted to do it was my house.

My imagination and creativity always thrives when I'm not in the comfort of my own home. So I decided to venture out and I stumbled across a quirky little cafe called Chessman's. I would sit at the back with my coffee and get to work on my laptop.

It's much more peaceful than a Costa or a Starbucks where the drinks are barely made with care and they get your order wrong most of the time. And let's not bring up the clientele it brings in.

Chessman's is peaceful and I have to say, the barista whose name is Luca, he makes a damn good cup of coffee. I gathered that he owns this place along with his mother, he's here everyday without fail. Just like I am.

He always greets me with a warm smile and remembers my name and my order.

At first he caught my eye because he has surfer-like blonde hair that's unkempt but still somehow looks incredibly positioned. There is a silver ring that sits in his right nostril and he has the deepest blue eyes I've ever seen.

His kindness is a part of why I keep coming back here, it's almost like familiarity now. It would be weird if I didn't rock up one day, I'm sure.

We don't say much except for exchanging a few words about our day, the cafe and the price of the coffee–which I think is far too cheap for how good it tastes.

Today I'm a bit later than usual because I decided to change my morning routine around, sorting out some work for Nick before heading to the gym. Now I can grab my coffee in peace and start working on finding a project to start so I can finally get my father to shut up and take back my Gran's belongings.

As I walk down the street, I spot Chessman's a few shops away. There are two women standing outside who are peering in with terrified expressions on their faces. One of the women has their phone to their ear and is speaking incredibly quickly.

I furrow my brows at the pair as I inch closer, my head twists to the window of the cafe and I notice a man wearing a black balaclava standing against the counter. Luca's face looks grave and pale, a knife pointed at his neck.

Before I even realise what I'm doing, I walk through the front door of the cafe. The women behind me cry out to stop me from going any further but I'm not going to stand here and do nothing, even if he has a knife in his hands.

The bell rings above me and the thief turns to look, dark eyes full of frustration. Luca is shaking, the knife so close to his neck as he attempts to open the cash register but can't open it with the key.

"Stay the fuck back!" He growls in my direction, the knife dangerously close to a vein poking out of his throat. Then he turns his attention back to Luca. "Now give me the fucking money now before I cut off your head!"