Chapter Twenty

✧

Since when was my bed this damn comfortable? Never.

My eyes remain glued shut as I stretch out in the bed, arms brushing the softest pillows I've ever had the pleasure to touch. I frown instantly. The sheets smell like fresh cotton. Silklike, as if they'd been dried in the sun but we're approaching winter.

I force my eyes open after a few moments and shoot upright. Wait. This isn't my bedroom.

I glance around frantically. My head aches. Pounding in fact.

Did I go out and get drunk? No. I was shutting up the shop... but I don't remember making it home. Well by the looks of things, I didn't make it home.

My eyes flick over the simple yet modern room. It's clean, practically spotless. Cream and brown interior with large wardrobes and a desk in the corner with a lamp and small ornaments. Abstract paintings hang on the wall with light coloured curtains that make the room look luxurious.

I notice fresh clothes hanging on a hanger above the door. It's mostly open but a sliver I can't see. I look down at my clothes, no trousers but I'm still wearing my work t-shirt. Interesting.

Then I look back to the clothes hanging up. I squint my eyes in the low darkness when I spot my trousers, they look like they've been steamed and pressed, along with a plain black t-shirt beside it.

When I think about swiping the covers off my body, I spot a figure down the hall in the opposite bedroom. My eyes certainly don't deceive me when I find Declan in nothing but a white fluffy towel wrapped around his waist. Droplets are running down his body, that toned chest which has been living in my dreams for the past week and a half.

I can't look away. He rummages through his drawers, finding something to wear.

Shamelessly, I stare at him. That body is sinful. In fact, I'll be the one committing all the sins when he walks around like that. How many times does he go to the gym? I've barely stepped inside one because I'm insecure about being around gym regulars. It'll be obvious that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

For a moment I'm mesmerised but then I shake my head. Wait, wait. Why am I here?

I lean over to the bedside table and take my phone. My finger taps the screen and I practically leap out of bed with a yelp. It's almost six thirty and the shop should be prepped and ready, people will be waiting. Bile rises in my throat, oh god, oh god. I'm late, I'm fucking late and we might lose customers this morning.

I hear footsteps echo down the hall as I reach for my clothes, Declan pops his head inside and thank goodness he's not naked anymore. His body is covered with a black long sleeved top which clings to every muscle. My mouth turns bone dry.

"Good morning," he offers me a smile.

"I'm late for work," I say instantly, taking the clothes down from the hangers.