Chapter Six

✧

"He wants to help us out?" My mother asks as she prepares herself for the day.

I hum from the dining room table. "Said something about a loan, about getting us back on our feet."

She glances over at me, her blue eyes glistening with concern. "I mean he was very kind when he helped you out when the cafe was robbed but we barely know him, Luca."

I suck in a breath and nod. "I know but I think he seems sincere. I understand that it's a lot of trust we'd need to put in him but at this rate, what other option do we have?"

"The bank isn't helpful at all," she mutters before turning back to the mirror and fixing her necklace in the reflection. "But it's something we'd need to discuss, I'd need to ask him a thousand questions before we ever got him involved with the business. It's ours, it's our livelihood."

"I know, mum." I agree. "But there isn't any harm in asking, is there? He said that he knows the cafe has so much potential and new ideas to help us thrive. I mean he comes in everyday in one of those expensive suits, it's obvious he's very tuned into business. It might be just what we need to get us out of this mess."

My mother hums as she walks towards me. "Well, let's have this conversation later, hmm? I'm late for work as it is and I know Jenny isn't the biggest fan of mine at the moment."

I feel my heart sink in my chest at her words. She's been so distracted with the cafe that she can barely focus on her second job and we need that income to stay afloat–for the time being.

"Sure," I nod as she leans down to kiss my cheek.

"If you're not okay with going in, Luca, we can just shut the shop?" She stares at me with the same blue eyes I have.

I shake my head. Even though the robbery from the cafe has left me with an awful sleeping pattern and slight fear it'll happen again, if we don't open up the shop, then we will be closed by the end of the month.

"I'm fine, it'll be fine."

She pursues her lips and studies me. "But for whatever reason you don't feel good or you're not up to it, just let me know and go home. I don't want you pressuring yourself to stay, you're still shaken up and I worry about your mental state."

"I said I'll be fine. Promise."

A loud sigh falls from her lips and she nods. "Okay, my boy. You're so brave and I love you."

"I love you too. Have a good day."

"You too, try and keep optimistic," she offers me a small smile. "Let me know if you need me to ask Demi to pop in and help."

My head shakes. "I'll be alright on my own."

I've definitely suffered long days by myself before, this won't be any different than usual.