|I Hope Its Okay if I Love You Forever|

On the Neritum isle, not far from Ithakē and Kefaloniá lived a maiden, with flashing eyes of gleaming green. A gift, beauty rare; the shadows of Nýx in her hair with lips that shame the red, red rose; this princess walks with springtime wherever she goes. The song of the sea sang within her veins as she moved about her isle. Around her was her friends—the horses and bulls, hares and foxes—followed her around as she started her day. They watched over her since the moment she washed upon the shore of grassy meadows on either side stood thick with violet and wild parsley.

The girl was beautiful; a favorite of the divine gods that resided in the heavens. Kállos, her friends called her for she had no other name. Powerful that she was with her dark braided hair and strange powers that allowed her to switch forms; her preferred being a mare in the same shade of her hair and eyes. A child of Poseidón Hippokourios of whom they had no doubt with a voice gifted from Apóllōn Mousāgetās as she set about the chores that she planned for the day.

On the shore, pacing across the sand with long slow strides, she ventured down to the sea, gathering the waves in her hands to take a drink. Birds with long wings roosted there, owls and falcons and long-tongued sea-crows that had their business upon the waters. It was there that the winged god saw her, turning aside and circled overhead and hovered round on hungry wings. He gazed upon her, she lovelier than all he gazed upon; a maiden unrivaled in beauty that held clear favor with his sister, Aphrodítē and beloved by the Khárites; she who was the fairest jewel he had ever seen.

Flowers of many colours; dyed in the flowers of spring,—in krocus and hyacinth and flourishing violet and the rose's lovely bloom, so sweet and delicious, and heavenly buds, the flowers of the narkissus and lily adorned her figure. A splendid robe made from the foam of the sea, enriched with all manner of needlework, which shimmered like the moon over her tender breasts, a marvel to see. Ζεύς' son, Hērmês, was seized with passion, breath-taken by her loveliness; he smoothed his hair, arranged his robe to hang aright, to show the whole long golden hem, saw that his wand, the wand he wields to bring and banish sleep, shone with a polish, and his ankle-wings were lustrous, and his sandals brushed and clean—such trust in his good looks!

She recognized him as a divine being instantly; a wonder for she had never left her island, yet she knew from the way that his curls, colored like the same shade as the skin of Gaía, the sort of brown that brought comfort of a time unknown, memories under the star-speckled skin of Ouranós, sitting before the warmth of Hestía's hearth with others that teased the mind. Tiny wings of gold were projecting from his locks, in which they had been fastened symmetrically on both sides. His eyes, bright as polish jade, looked upon her, marking her in a state of vulnerability though she met his gaze evenly, taking in his ambrosian colored skin like the sun hugged him tenderly every morning. He was naked except for a youth's cloak draped over his left shoulder; his cheek emits a smile mingled with wrath that made him the cynosure of all eyes.

"Mi'lord, whoever of the blessed ones you are that come to this house, tell me the thing that is in your mind; my heart consents to it already if it is something I can do and something that has been done before."

And with these words the maiden drew up a table by him, a feast worthy of the gods, though immortals such as himself have no need for mortal food. Still, Hērmês began to eat and drink; when the meal was over and his spirit refreshed with food, he answered Kállos thus: "At my entrance you put a question to me; I will tell you the whole matter frankly, as indeed you wish me to. I'll not invent a reason; only that you may lay your virgin body in love with I in a soft meadow and among spring flowers."

Her lips part in surprise, eyes widening in shock at his words, but she gathered herself quickly enough even as she tried to laugh off his statement. "My, my. Such bold words, mi'lord," and her smile was sharp while her eyes glinted with cruel amusement. "Yet I know naught of whom you may be. How can I give my maidenhood to a male of no name lest I lay with a criminal that spurns the gods in the heavens?"