Preface

(Authors notes; Idk why I decided to do a sequel. 🥲 I hope I'm getting better at writing lol)

The palace was still smoking as Laurent and I made our way out and into the streets. It's been about an hour of hiding in the castle from the bombs— but now its to dangerous to stay even there.
The streets are empty if you didn't count the dead bodies thrown around the area. It stinks of blood and ash, the stench of burned flesh adding to the mix. It make's me want to hurl.
I follow Laurent as he navigated the ruble of what once were homes.
I actually wanted this.
I wanted all this destruction to happen.
But seeing it all in front of me just makes me question my sense of humanity.
Laurent keeps looking back at me, making sure I'm still with him. I don't understand how he's not mad at me.
Or maybe he's just waiting for a better time to lash out because of the mess I made by running away.
"You okay? You haven't said much, are you feeling alright?" Laurent asked softly, stopping as he turned to me.
I nodded. "I'm okay right now."
Its not like I'm wounded and bleeding out.
He didn't seem to convinced, his tired eyes looking me over tentatively. "We can rest once we get to that place right there." He pointed to the first floor of what once was a multi-story inn. Now all that's standing is the first floor, even if half the roof was caved in.
I just nodded quietly as I made my way there. What was I even thinking? Why did I leave? If I stayed everything would have stayed the same.
I moved the broken door out of my way and went inside. Sitting down in the corner I watched as Laurent followed me in. He didn't sit down— instead he took a moment to look at me before peering out the door once more.
"I think it's safe enough if we stay the night here," he said.
I followed his gaze, feeling supersized I didn't notice how late it was. It's dark outside, the looming night sky lit up by the moon. I got to used to the night.
I'm still hold the cold metal of the crown as Laurent bent down in front of me. I tried to smile up at him. "I'm sorry," I whispered.
"Your going to cut yourself," he said wordily as he peeled the crown from my hand. He set it down next to me while I stared at the dumb pointed piece of trash. It's imprinted a numb sting on my hand.
I want to sleep.
I opened my arms to him, hoping he would share his warmth. I'm cold— inside and out.
He melted into my hug as I closed my eyes. The both of us breathing shallow sharp breaths. I buried my face into his neck, trying to stop the stream of tears that fell from my soul.
I'm holding the whole world in my arms.
I'm scared he'll leave.
"What are you gonna do with it?"
"Try fixing this mess," I muttered vaguely. I can barley hear my voice but there's a definite edge in my tone.
It's been to long. Way to long. I can't keep making myself believe he'll go. I'll do better.
I'll be what he deserves.
I'll do better.
For him— and everyone else.