Chapter 24

Serena was stressed.

As if sleeping with Rick hadn't caused her enough remorse, there was trouble at Cup of Sea.

A waitress had stolen money from their cash register and had disappeared.
This was the first time any of her staff had done so, and it put everyone's reputation at stake.
All the staff was under investigation, and it was getting really difficult to hide it from the customers and to keep her restaurant running smoothly.

Serena had gotten to know a day later, because ever since Rick had left her apartment, Serena had been too busy moping/cursing herself for all that had happened.
She had berated herself for giving into Rick.
Although, she knew that he hadn't forced her, had even asked for her permission, but still...
She hadn't wanted to go that way again..a rich man and her..it just wasn't the best of combinations..and she had her past with Paul to prove it.

Serena had come from Manhattan after doing her masters in culinary arts. When her parents had passed away, there had been nothing to hold her back there, plus her grandmother lived in Florida, and so Serena had shifted here.

Finding a job in a restaurant like The Grill had been a dream come true for her. Serena had had her own recipes, and she had been ecstatic when they had been selected for the restaurant's menu, and she, as one of the chefs.

Paul Carter, the owner of the restaurant, had seemed keen to have her on board, and Serena had been looking for just that kind of opportunity. Serena had been young then, and not so well versed with the knowledge of cunning men. She had been attracted to Paul's good looks and his charms, which he had used on her to perfection.

Serena had fallen for him. He had been that charming. Wooing her with just the right words and actions, he had made her believe that she was the love of his life.
Serena, fool that she had been then, had readily agreed to marry him when he had proposed to her.

Life had been great.
Her fiancé had doted on her, while she had achieved success and become the head chef, because her recipes had escalated the popularity of the restaurant.
Serena was happy, Paul seemed happy, and everything was going great.
Until the day she discovered the truth.

Paul Carter stole her recipes, and sold them to the highest bidder. And to top that, that bidder turned out to be the woman he had been sleeping with behind Serena's back!
Serena would never have believed it if someone had told her that Paul could be unfaithful. But, catching the rascal red-handed with the woman in his bed on a surprise visit, had brought her happy world crashing down upon her.

Paul had tried his best to placate her, but Serena had finally seen through his lies and deceit. He had only gotten close to her so he could use her for his own ends. And she wasn't that dumb, that she would forgive him or take him back.
So, she had quit her job and moved in with her only living relative, her Nanna.

Nanna had helped her get over her trauma, by keeping her busy with her bakery, which she run at Miami Beach.
Anger and frustration had driven Serena, and she had managed to get over the scumbag. Plus, she had gotten to play with ingredients, which was her most favourite thing to do.
And the rest, as they said, was history..
Serena shook away her bitter and some sweet memories, and concentrated on the present.

All leads were signaling towards someone else being the mastermind behind the robbery. Some of the staff even testified that the behaviour of the waitress had been somewhat shady, that she had mostly been seen on the phone when she was not working, or giving everything and everyone suspicious looks.
Serena berated herself for being occupied elsewhere, and not paying enough attention.
But not anymore..focus, woman, just focus! Before your dreams get disrupted again like they had with Paul.

Collisionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें